Hair extensions come in many textures, colors, and various price ranges, and they can give the wearer a dramatic new look. However, weave purchased by a recent Kenyan woman gave her a look she was definitely not trying to achieve.
According to The Kenyan Standard, after having her human hair extensions installed, Irene Myangoh said she started experiencing agonizing pains across her head two weeks later.
She made a trip to the doctor and was given painkillers, but they did little to remedy the pain.
It was during a return trip to the doctor that the surprising cause was found. The doctor who examined Myangoh’s scalp reportedly found maggots eating into her skull.
Myangoh believes that the hair sold to her from a Nairobi salon had come from a corpse, and the maggots had hatched from eggs laid on the dead body.
As a result of the discovery, she had to shave her head and was prescribed antibiotics for two weeks.
The salon owner was mortified and plans to compensate Myangoh and contact her supplier.
This story seems too bizarre to be true, but according to Barbara Mikkelson of Snopes.com it’s not true at all.
Mikkelson states that the same story has been surfacing periodically since 2010, and in each occurrence, the name of the woman and city are different, but "the text of the tale [is] largely untouched."
So, the next time you hear a “maggot hair extension story,” don’t be-weave it.