Calling all playwrights. Not sure if that script you’ve been working on at night is ready to see the light of day? There’s only one way to find out – by putting it out there. The Magenta Giraffe Theatre Company is encouraging local playwrights to come out and play.
As part of its mission to “reestablish and expand Detroit’s theatre district,” the MGT Company is now accepting submissions of plays by Michigan natives or current Michigan residents which they will stage as part of a reading festival that will be scheduled for late spring or early summer of 2013.
The past four Staged Reading Festivals have provided Michigan playwrights constructive venues in which to workshop new plays. In fact,four plays read in the festivals have subsequently been produced by local companies: The Current (Sean Paraventi; Magenta Giraffe Theatre Company), The Sunday Punch (Linda Ramsay; Planet Ant Theatre), Burn the Red Banner: Or, Let the Rebels Have Their Fun (Franco Vitella; The Abreact) and most recently, Soul Mates (Kirsten Knisely; Magenta Giraffe Theatre Company).
The dates, length and location of the festival are yet to be determined, but playwrights are encouraged to submit any works they would like to see read and workshopped by the deadline of 5 p.m. on Monday, April 8, 2013. Questions and/or submissions should be sent to Kirsten Knisely at email@example.com.
Guidelines for submissions:
- Playwright must be either a native of Michigan or currently live in the state and have no plans to relocate during 2013.
- Playwright must be 18 or older.
- Play content should fit the criteria outlined in Magenta Giraffe’s mission statement; if play content does not exactly match the mission, then it should at least be compatible: The Magenta Giraffe Theatre Company acts to eliminate apathy, violence, prejudice and barriers to education through theatre productions, projects and programs; and further acts to reestablish and expand Detroit’s theatre district.
- Submissions must be e-mailed to Kirsten Knisely at firstname.lastname@example.org. Microsoft Word or PDF documents only; hard copies will not be accepted. No exceptions.
- Submission deadline is 5 p.m., on Monday, April 8, 2013.
Playwrights will be notified in writing of the status of their submission(s) by Monday, April 15, 2013.