Last week analysts predicted Madden 25 would sell more than 1 million units in the game's first week, but sales were actually down from 1.65 million units from last year in August.
Sales for software on the whole were up during August by 21 percent, according to the report. The increase to $305 million in sales is the first time the sector’s seen a year-over-year increase since November 2011.
The Wii U hit top 10 in software sales charts for the first time ever with Pikmin 3, which sold 115,000 combined physical and digital units in August.
Here’s the top 10 software sales for the month of August:
- Madden NFL 25 (Xbox 360, PS3)
- Saints Row 4 (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
- Disney Infinity (Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, Wii U, PC)
- Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Blacklist (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U, PC)
- Minecraft (Xbox 360)
- Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (3DS)
- NCAA Football 14 (Xbox 360, PS3)
- Payday 2 (Xbox 360, PS3)
- Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn (PS3, PC)
- Pikmin 3 (Wii U)