A 13-year-old Macon boy died Saturday, a day after he was shot in the face and police have charged a 16-year-old in the crime.
Still, witnesses claimed the shooting was unintentional.
It happened shortly before 5:45 p.m. Friday at a home in the 600 block of Cleveland Street, according to Macon police.
Officers responded to the scene after getting a report that a person had been shot, police spokeswoman Sgt. Melanie Hofmann said.
“When officers arrived they found 13-year-old Marquez Blount in front of 622 Cleveland Street with a gunshot wound to the face,” Sgt. Hofmann said. “The 16-year-old male shooter was apprehended a short distance from Cleveland Street.”
Witnesses told police the teens were handling the gun when it discharged, Sgt. Hofmann said. Officers found the weapon near the scene.
The 16-year-old, whose name has not been released, was charged with possession of a firearm by a person under the age of 18 and possession of a firearm with altered serial number.
He is being held at the Regional Youth Development Center. He is expected to face additional charges since the 13-year-old died Saturday, Sgt. Hofmann said.
Police have not said who owned the gun or how it came to be in the teens’ possession.
Receive daily news stories and stay current by clicking on the subscribe button at the top of the article and get automatic updates via email each time a new article is published. You may also get quick updates on articles as well as read more local news stories at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Atlanta-Public-Safety-Examiner/19583707047.