Many families have a favorite macaroni and cheese recipe. One that the entire family, as well as the kids friends, love. But not everyone tries their favorite recipe with add-ins. This is but one idea for add-ins. It is possible to use a variety of meats and vegetables, in different combinations, to add something interesting to a family favorite.
macaroni and cheese, not quite done (Almost at the end of the cook time.)
1 to 2 cups cooked and chopped chicken
1/2 to 1 cup diced tomato
Option 1: Stovetop Cooking
- When the mac and cheese is not quite fully cooked, add the chicken and tomato.
- Cook on low until warmed through.
Option 2: A Baked Concoction
- Before the macaroni and cheese is fully cooked, take it off the stove top.
- Grease the bottom of a casserole dish with a thin layer of coconut oil.
- Spread the chicken out in the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with the diced tomato.
- Spread the mac and cheese evenly over the chicken and tomatoes.
- Bake at 350* until warmed through.
- Use store brand pasta to save money on the grocery bill.
- Use tomatoes fresh from the garden to save even more money on the food bill, and for superior taste.
- Serve this dish with a side salad of baby spinach, diced cucumber, and zucchini.
Be sure to subscribe to Bangor Easy Meals to receive all new updates to the column. Please share articles you enjoy on Facebook, Twitter and other social and bookmarking venues. You may contact Shannon any time at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by leaving a comment here. Get her eCookBooks Very Frugal Vegetables and Main Meal Magic for recipes and tips.