The LSU Tigers are set to face off with the Iowa Hawkeyes on Jan. 1, 2014, in Tampa at the Outback Bowl presented by Outback Steakhouse. It's going to be an epic meeting on the gridiron, but there was an even bigger meeting at the Outback Bowl welcome dinner. As reported by Bleacher Report on Dec. 26, 2013, the two teams ate dinner and put away more than 5,000 pounds of food.
Yes, over 5,000 pounds of food.
Sure, there are a great number of players on both teams and some of the guys are pretty big, but 5,000 pounds? It seems almost impossible. The official twitter for the Iowa Hawkeyes tweeted:
"LSU and Iowa were treated to feast by Outback Steakhouse tonight, devouring a combined 5,000 lbs of food."
That 5,000 pounds was a combination of a number of items including:
- 750 pounds of sirloin steak topped with 40 gallons of Diablo Sauce
- 750 pounds of chicken
- 900 pounds of ribs
- 700 pounds of house salad
- 400 pounds of baked potatoes topped with butter and sour cream
- 1,600 coconut shrimp
- 160 bloomin' onions
- 1,600 honey wheat dinner rolls
- 1,200 pounds of cheese cake
- 80 gallons barbecue sauce
- Dozens of cases of soda and water
On Dec. 27, 2013, the two teams are schedule to visit Busch Gardens theme park in Tampa Bay for some fun on roller coasters and visiting with the animals. At least both LSU and Iowa have a fun days to digest their food before the big game.