A Georgia family will be able to ring in the New Year thanks to their loyal dog who successfully alerted them to a devastating house fire, reported Thursday's WRCB TV News.
On Sunday night, while Jennifer Ross and her family were sound asleep, fire crept throughout their Gordon County home.
The family's intuitive pit bull, "Bella," noticed the looming danger first.
Ross described Bella's initial efforts to rouse her from sleep:
It sounded like she wanted to go out,"
I was like, 'Bella, let me sleep and I'll let you out in a little bit.'"
Thankfully, though Bella was initially given the brush off, she persisted in her efforts to wake her family.
Bella's efforts escalated - she began to jump on the bed and then ran to the door - it was enough to alert her drowsy guardian to the danger.
After checking the bedroom door, it was readily apparent that the home was filled with deadly smoke.
Fortunately, the family was able to call 911 and escape from the house which was engulfed in flames.
Had it not been for Miss Bella, we never would have made it out.
Miss Beautiful has got a really good instinct for taking care of other people.
Good girl Bella!
Continue reading: Pit bulls have a friend in Miley Cyrus
If you would like to continue receiving the latest dog related news, tips and advice, please click the "Subscribe" icon which is located near the top, left portion of this column. It is free and anonymous to sign up.
Follow the National Dog News Examiner on Facebook and Twitter!
I am human, if you see a typo, please let me know. Questions, comments or story ideas can be emailed to Eims1@live.com. Please note - due to the heavy volume of emails received, I am unable to respond to each and every request, but they are all appreciated!