A 90-year-old woman and her daughter are alive today thanks to the efforts of one little dog named "Biscotti."
According to Friday's Washington Post, while Biscotti's elderly owner, Elsa Bray, slept, a deadly fire was burning nearby in the Bethesda, Md., home's garage.
Biscotti, a seven-year-old Bichon Frise, began to bark in an effort to wake the slumbering woman. The small dog's efforts were successful, and as Bray looked out her window, she saw the smoke and flames.
Alerted to the danger, Bray walked down the hall and asked her daughter to call 911 and inexplicably, did not leave the house, but instead, returned to her room.
Biscotti stayed by her owner's side.
Responding firefighters were able to rescue Bray, who was overcome with smoke, and her daughter from the burning home.
Tragically, the little dog who first noticed the danger, was not saved.
On Friday, Bray, who is still in a hospital recovering from smoke-inhalation, told the Gazette:
“Biscotti gave me more than I ever gave Biscotti,”
Officials believe that the fire started from an oil-filled space heater which was running in the garage.
Continue reading: Man who put grandmother's dog in hot oven gets a slap on the wrist
If you would like to continue receiving the latest dog related news, tips and advice, please click the "Subscribe" icon which is located at the bottom of this column. It is free and anonymous to sign up
For updates and further discussion, follow the National Dog News Examiner on Facebook and Twitter!
I am human, if you see a typo, please let me know. Questions, comments or story ideas can be emailed to Eims1@live.com.