Down in the south having a side dish of corn bread on the table is very common. Not many meals are served without a slice of corn bread on the side. It is almost mandatory, just as having a knife and fork set out at each place setting. Preparing a low sugar southern style corn bread recipe is easy. In fact this recipe you can even eliminate the sugar if you really want to. The corn bread will not lose its traditional taste and can be enjoyed by many folks who are watching their sugar intake.
- 1 cup of cornmeal
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of cooked, canned or creamed corn
- 1 cup of milk
- ½ cup of canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Preheat oven to 400’.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Then add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the corn bread mixture into a greased 8 inch square baking pan.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove pan from oven and let cool for 20 minutes before transferring corn bread to a cooling rack.
- Slice corn bread into squares and serve while hot.
- This corn bread can also be prepared without the addition of sugar in the ingredients. The canned corn kernels or the creamed corn contain natural sugars that sweeten the corn bread naturally.
- Corn bread is a great little side to any dinner.
- It is wonderful in the morning with just a little butter spread across the top.
- Honey can be used instead of sugar in the recipes and it is recommended to use 2 tablespoons when mixing the batter.
- If no sugar is added to the recipe and a little extra sweetness is wanted just drizzle a little honey over the top.
© 2013 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
More reading topics from this author:
Find more recipes and cooking tips with easy step-by-step instructions visit me at Jackson Cooking Examiner. For fun, crafty, holiday, events, tips and tricks and education stories to enjoy join me at Home and Living Examiner. Interested in health issues, recalls, medical conditions and tips and tricks for a healthier lifestyle follow me to Healthy Living Examiner. Looking for celebrity news, scoops, pop culture, events, attractions and entertainment stories follow the Jackson Celebrity Examiner.