Chocolate and mint are a wonderful refreshing combination for desserts and with St. Patrick’s Day just around the corner, why not whip up a batch of these low fat minty fudgy treats from Betty Crocker. This no fail recipe keeps the crowd coming back for more.
1 box Betty Crocker Low Fat Fudge Brownie mix
1/3 cup water
2- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar depending on how sweet you like your desserts
3 T butter softened
3 T whipping cream
2 oz cream cheese softened
¼ t mint extract
2 drops green food color
1/3 cup whipping cream
11/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips or 8oz semisweet baking chocolate
1/3 cup butter
1. Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan).
2. Grease bottom only of 9-inch square pan with shortening or cooking spray. For easier cutting, line pan with foil, then grease foil on bottom only of pan.
** Low fat option – use parchment paper to line the pan. It makes easier cutting and no need to grease the bottom.
3. Make and bake brownie mix as directed on box. Cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours.
4. In large bowl, beat the butter, whipping cream, cream cheese and powdered sugar on the stir setting of an electric mixer until combined.
5. Add the mint extract and food colouring and beat on medium speed until smooth.
6. Spread over cooled brownies.
7. Refrigerate about 1 hour or until set.
8. Once filling is set, in 2-quart nonstick saucepan heat the whipping cream, chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth. You don’t want to scald the cream.
9. Cool about 10 minutes or until lukewarm.
10. Pour topping over filling; spread to cover.
11. Refrigerate uncovered about 2 hours or until set.
12. Before cutting into bars, let stand 10 minutes at room temperature.
13. For bars, cut into 5 rows by 4 rows.
14. Store covered in refrigerator.