This zuppa toscana soup recipe tastes a lot like the menu item of the same name at the Olive Garden, but it's easily made at home and low in carbs. If you're following a low-carb and low-fat plan such as the Dukan Diet, you can use turkey sausage instead of regular pork sausage. If you don't have any chicken broth on the shelf, you can substitute water and chicken base.
- 1 lb hot ground Italian sausage
- 8 oz cauliflower, cooked and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
- 1 tsp bottled, minced garlic
- 8 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed in microwave
- 1 12 oz can evaporated skim milk OR 1 1/2 cups fat free half and half
- Salt and pepper
- Crumbled bacon or real bacon bits
- If the Italian sausage is in casings, remove them. Brown and crumble Italian sausage in a large, deep fry pan or dutch oven.
- When the sausage is almost done, add the chopped onion and cook until opaque.
- Add the cauliflower, garlic and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the spinach and cook until done, about 5 minutes, then add the milk or half and half.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, around 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 to 1 tsp of pepper.
- Serve sprinkled with bacon bits if desired.
If this article helped you or if you have further suggestions, please feel free to comment below.