When we take little steps towards changing our diet, we decrease any potential health risk. The daily recommended calorie for an adult from the USDA is 2,000 calories. If we lower our caloric intake, add more fiber and protein to our daily diet we will remain full longer, which will avoid us eating unnecessarily.
Fiber is a big part of a heart healthy diet. Woman should have 25 grams of fiber daily and men should have 38 grams of fiber a day to maintain a healthy life. The average American male or female does not consume the daily recommended fiber allowance.
Fiber does not have to taste bad as some may think, so they avoid eating foods that will increase their intake. Fiber is more than just eating oatmeal. Whole grain brown rice has 4 grams of fiber and with beans added it is an additional 5-6 grams of fiber depending on the beans used.
Some of the benefits of fiber are that it decreases cholesterol in the blood stream which lowers your LDL (bad) levels and increases your HDL (good) levels.
Protein doesn’t always have to come through meat, but beans are a great source of protein as well as the gardein brand. Gardein gives you all the looks and flavor of meat and chicken without all the extra calories, fat and cholesterol from the animal products.
Gardein meatless meats are made out of vegetables and tofu. Substituting gardein twice a week will make an impact in weight management. The tofu and vegetables will give you the protein your body needs without working overtime to break it down.
Protein enriched foods will also make you feel fuller. Consuming more fiber will also do the same.
The meal of whole grain rice and beans and meatless beef tips consist of 12 grams of fiber, 29 grams of protein and 350 calories.
Brown rice and beans
• ½ bag of small red beans
• 2 cups of whole grain brown rice
• 1 ½ Tbs. olive oil
• 1 tbs. of kosher salt
• ½ tsp. black pepper
• ½ of onion
1. Let beans soak overnight.
2. Boil beans until tender. Reserve the bean liquid.
3. ½ tbs. of olive oil and sauté onions with drained beans.
4. In a medium saucepan put reserve liquid (2 cups) of liquid.
5. Put sauté onion, salt, black pepper and 1 tbs. olive oil.
6. Rinse rice.
7. Put rice turn flame down and cover and cook for 40-45 minutes.
Meatless beef tips
• 1 bag of gardein meatless beef tip
• Marinate for 10-15 minutes
• ½ tsp. of kosher salt
• ½ tsp. black pepper
• 2 tbs. of olive oil
• 1 tsp. of cane sugar
• ¼ cup of ginger sauce
• dice a small onion
• sesame seeds and green onions for garnish (optional)
1. In a bowl combine all ingredients and shake a couple of times in the bowl.
2. Place 1 tbs. of olive oil in skillet and diced onions.
3. Place marinate meatless beef tip and lightly stir fry.
4. Cook on low heat for 10 minutes.