Muffins are great, because they can be a breakfast, snack and sometimes even a dessert! However, they may be heavy on your waistline with some being 400-600 calories per muffin. Looking for a low calories yet tasty alternative? Look no further.
Blueberry Lemonade Muffins are only 130 calories per muffin, but huge on flavor.
6 TBSP unsalted butter at Room Temperature.
1 cup no-calories sweetener (Splenda, Truvia)
1/2 cup sour cream
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
Zest from 2 lemons (I know that it sounds like a lot... but trust me.)
1 1/4 cup SELF RISING FLOUR (No all-purpose here)
1 cup blueberries (make sure they are completely dry and room temperature before they are put into the batter)
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line your muffin tin with whatever cups you want. I use a non stick cooking spray around the edges and I don't care if it gets in the cups.
2) With a spatula, cream the butter and sugar. Then add the eggs, sour cream and zest. Whisk until creamy. DO NOT OVER WHISK.
3) Add flour to the wet ingredients... except about 2 TBSPS of it... add that to the blueberries, which should be waiting for you in a small bowl. Toss the blueberries with the flour so that they are all coated. This will keep them from sinking to the bottom of the muffins. Be careful not to burst them!
4) Mix the wet and dry ingredients -- do not over mix. At this point, taste your mixture. If you think it's too sour, add more sugar or vanilla. Play around with it; make it your own.
5) Add the blueberry flour mixture to your batter. WITH A SPATULA ONLY, FOLD in your blueberries. Use large, round motions. It's OK to see little chunks of flour around the blueberries. Try not to burst them.
6) With a large ice cream scoop, scoop them into your cups and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Insert a toothpick into the center of one... if it comes out clean, you are good to go! Let cool ten minutes before transferring to a wire wrack to cool completely.
Remember -- you won't taste the sour cream, it's purely for texture. The blueberries and lemon zest give wonderful nutrition, while substituting the sugar for Splenda or Truvia make these a healthy, yet delicious treat.