On the "heels" of Valentine's Day, another special day in February is dedicated to love. Get ready to pamper that pooch or cuddle the kitty, folks! Feb. 20 is Love Your Pet Day, an annual "howliday" devoted to all our furry friends.
For many of us, pets are valued members of the family. They give us unconditional love without asking too much from us in return. Whether you prefer dogs, cats, rats, horses, birds, ferrets or pot-bellied pigs, pets bring so much to our lives, dont they? Love Your Pet Day reminds us to do something special for our two or four-legged friends.
Adopt, Adopt, Adopt!
Love Your Pet Day is the "purrfect" time to adopt an unloved, neglected and/or abused animal from the local shelter. Each year, millions of beautiful dogs and cats are euthanized waiting for special people to give them "furever" homes. Please consider opening your heart and your home to an animal in need. Visit your local animal shelter and give a pet a once-and-forever home - before it's too late.
How to Celebrate Love Your Pet Day
- Change your Facebook or Twitter pic to a photo of your beloved pet or an animal that is urgently awaiting adoption.
- National Dog Biscuit Day is coming right up. Why not celebrate early and whip up a few homemade doggy treats and treat Fido?
- Take an extra long walk with Fido in honor of the occasion.
- Surprise Fluffy with some catnip in honor of Love Your Pet Day.
- Make it Movie Night with flicks all about pets. Just make sure to have some extra Kleenex on hand! 101 Dalmatians, Bambi, Buddy, Benji, Beethoven, Garfield, Hachi: A Dog's Tale, Homeward Bound, K-9, Lassie, Lady and the Tramp, Marley & Me, Old Yeller, Secretariat, That Darn Cat, The Aristocats, Turner and Hooch
- Why not treat Fido to a brand new bowl? The Slo-Bowl, created by the creative folks at Kyjen, is not just any doggy dish. According to an online interview, this "natural, healthy and playful" bowl not only helps pooches prevent bloat and obesity from gobbling up their food too quickly, the unique designs make eating way more fun and enjoyable. Instead of scarfing the food down in one ginormous mouthful, Fido gets to hunt for his food. Eating has never been more fun with the colorful, top rack dishwasher safe Slo-Bowls.
Happy Love Your Pet Day! February 20 is also National Cherry Pie Day!