Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Love hurts as Wanderers are eliminated

2014 FFA Cup Round One: Match Day Three-slide0
Photo by Robert Prezioso/Getty Images

For the first time in the FFA Cup, and at the first time of asking, a state league side has eliminated an A-League side as Adelaide City knocked out Western Sydney, highlighting the third match day of the round of 32 around Australia on Tuesday night.

Adelaide City players celebrate their win over Western Sydney
Photo by Morne de Klerk/Getty Images

Adelaide City performed the first major upset in FFA Cup history as they knocked out Western Sydney at a packed Marsden Sports Complex thanks to a 1-0 victory.

Western Sydney may feel a little hard done by as they were perhaps the better side but Adelaide City really put up a fight and got the result they needed.

Tomi Juric may have to bear the brunt of the responsibility for the loss, after his wastefulness, throwing away three clear chances, ultimately proved costly.

Both sides really struggled to get chances away in the first half, but despite that it proved entertaining and the second half made up for that lack of chances.

In the 75th minute a strong run from Thomas Love, after beating several defenders and he was able to hit it calmly past an advantage Covic for the crucial goal.

Despite pushing for a late equalizer, Western Sydney were held out by Adelaide City who managed an impressive and memorable victory.

Sydney United dominated Far North Queensland in their encounter as the Sydney side cruised to a 4-1 victory.

The rain came pouring down in Sydney’s west and with an artificial surface, Sydney United made their home advantage count, dominating the match from the opening whistle.

It took just 14 minutes for that pressure to tell as Anthony Tomelic was left wide open after a bad clearance from a corner, allowing him a simple volley from close range.

The ball was almost all with Sydney United with FNQ restricted to playing on the counter, they barely got out of their own half and in the 36th minute should have conceded a second as Mirjan Pavlovic got through on the keeper but shot over the bar.

Despite the utter domination from Sydney United, they only went in to the break 1-0 up but on the hour mark they made it two after another poor clearance allowed Robert Mileski to easily score a second.

That goal seemed to crush Far North Queensland’s spirit and Pavlovic responded gleefully, making up for his earlier missed chance by scoring two goals within ten minutes.

There was some consolation for FNQ in stoppage time as Alex Smith was able to score a consolation goal, but it was scarcely what they deserved, a 4-1 defeat a fair reflection of the match.

There was another away win for a Victorian team as Bentleigh Greens became the second team in as many weeks to get a victory over a New South Wales side in Western Sydney as they beat Blacktown City 1-0.

Blacktown City were the stronger side, but the weather was doing the match no favors and was largely preventing Blacktown from doing more as it too often lead to errors on attack from Blacktown.

Blacktown were seemingly cruising in the match but Alistair Bray in the Bentleigh goal had other ideas, as he frustrated the hosts and was a large part of why Bentleigh advanced.

Despite being outplayed Bentleigh found an opening goal in the 40th minute as a cross got headed back across the face of goal for David Stirton to head in from close range.

For all Blacktown’s possession and work they just could not get past a resolute Bray who kept out Blacktown City, giving Bentleigh a gritty win.

Perhaps the most anticipated match of the first round saw Sydney FC travel to Ballarat to take on the newly rebranded Melbourne City FC, inexplicably without any television coverage.

It was an entertaining match, but not the start that Manchester City would have hoped for their new affiliate as Sydney FC took the lead in the 23rd minute, despite being on the back foot for the early stages.

Andrew Redmayne made a poor decision to rush out from goal which left Corey Gameiro able to score a simple finish to open the scoring.

For all of Melbourne City’s strong work it took until the 64th minute for Melbourne City to get an equalizer as a free-kick from Aaron Mooy, finding Nick Kalmar who headed home an equalizer.

Both sides pushed hard in the final half-hour but they couldn’t find a goal in the late stages of the match as the match headed to extra-time.

After a scoreless first half of extra time Melbourne City gave away the match, losing Jason Hoffman in the 109th minute to a straight red card which lead to an Ali Abbas penalty to put Sydney FC in front before he wrapped it up with a second penalty four minutes later.

Report this ad