In Professor Joseph Campbell’s "The Power of Myth" he talked about the essence of a true love affair and marriage with journalist Bill Moyers some years ago. He called ”loyalty” the essence of marriage — “not cheating, not defecting — through whatever trials or suffering, you remain true.”
Bill Moyers said: “The Puritans call marriage the little church within the church. In marriage, every day you love, and every day you forgive. It is an ongoing sacrament — love and forgiveness.”
With a true love affair or marriage
Professor Campbell added: “The real life of a marriage or a true love affair is in the relationship…. Marriage is the symbolic recognition of our identity — two aspects of the same being.” When Every Day You Think Love not Divorce.
How can you practice unconditional love?
- Express joy often
- Express gratitude
- Look at the positive side of your relationship
- Focus on positive qualities rather than negative ones
- When something upsets you, say so, move on, and quite nagging
- Smile often -- research shows that smiles are contagious
- Speak the words "I love you" until you cherish them
Have a look at the "Love notes" which have helpful tips for all relationships:
Copyright 2014 Rita Esposito