The Louisville Free Public Library, Western Colored Branch (or simply the Western Branch) was first built in 1905.It was the first library built specifically for African-Americans and is a registered historical site. The library was relocated and rebuilt in 1908 with funds from industrialist Andrew Carnegie and is one of many Carnegie Libraries that he funded.
The library was first proposed by Andrew Meyzeek who was principal of Central High School at the time. He was concerned of the lack of reading and reference material accessible to his students and the community. Meyzeek challenged 1902 legislation that created the Louisville Free Public Library System. He claimed that the system did not provide enough for the African-American community in Louisville, and convinced them to open a branch in West Louisville to address this problem. They approved it, and the library began a three rooms at a private residence in 1905. It was later relocated to its present location.