The theme of this year’s program is “Reaffirming Our Diverse Culture.” It begins at 12:00 p.m. in Council Chambers, City Hall, 601 West Jefferson Street.
“Each year, the Metro Council takes a moment to honor citizens in our districts who work for change and help others,” says Councilwoman Barbara Shanklin (D-2) who chairs the committee. “Through their efforts, our community is a better place to live. This is one way of thanking them for what they do.”
One group will be honored during the program along with 26 individuals. Below is a list of the honorees of for the 2013 Black History Program:
2013 Group Award:
This year the Committee will honor the Justice Resource Center and its members for the group’s work in the area of civil rights and social justice issues in Metro Louisville.
- District 1 Timiko D. Edwards
- District 2 Ruben Pulliam
- District 3 Linda Baker Thomas
- District 4 Lawrence Wilbon
- District 5 Keith Cook
- District 6 Luther Brown
- District 7 Sonja Grey
- District 8 Elizabeth Kizito
- District 9 Jean Pennick
- District 10 Michael L. Meeks
- District 11 Tierra KavanaughTurner
- District 12 Toni Boyd
- District 13 Vanessa Moore
- District 14 Lisa Franklin Gray
- District 15 Karl Laird
- District 16 Pastor Jerry Stephenson
- District 17 Donald Myers, Jr.
- District 18 Rick Howland
- District 19 Issac Comage
- District 20 Robert Allen Brown
- District 21 Pastor Moses Foyah
- District 22 Dale Josey
- District 23 Eddie Goodwin, Jr.
- District 24 Shonda Barlow
- District 25 LaKunta Farmer
- District 26 Kevin Jones