A Louisiana witness slowed his vehicle down for a better look after noticing a silent, triangle-shaped UFO was "hovering just above the trees" while driving west along I-20 between Monroe and Ruston, according to February 12, 2014, testimony in Case 54039 from the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) witness reporting database.
The witness and a friend - both age 19 - were driving along I-20 near midnight on January 10, 1998, when a very bright light was seen on a clear night.
"I observed a bright white light at my eleven o'clock just above the horizon," the witness stated. "I do not recall the elevation, but it was quite low. I agreed with my friend's comment about the clarity of the evening and went on to note how bright Venus was."
His friend disagreed, but they soon noticed that the bright object appeared to be moving.
"Eventually, we both observed that the light was not staying at a relatively constant position, as a distant object would appear to do. In other words, as the highway curved, the object was observed to change position relative to our point-of-view. Very soon, we knew that the object was much closer than a star or planet and that we would pass it."
They soon approached the object and slowed down, but did not stop.
"I observed a large object of triangular shape hovering (or evidently hovering) just above the trees. The object appeared dark, although I cannot say with certainty that it was black. I can only guess that it was around 50 feet across, but it could have been far larger. I doubt that it was much smaller."
The witness described the object's lights.
"It had a massive white light in the lower center. That light reminded me of a Xenon light. I did not discern any blue tint to the light, as one would expect from an HMI or similar light. At each apex, a red light was visible. These red lights were also constant and not as bright (not nearly) as the center white light."
The two also noticed that the object was not making any sound and it did not appear to move at all.
"After passing the object, we drove into town where we knew some friends would be. We collected those friends and drove quickly back to the location of the sighting. The object was gone. During the sighting, there were some other cars on the highway. We did not observe any stationary cars. We did not observe any other aircraft at the time."
Ruston is a small city in Lincoln Parish, population 21,859. Louisiana has a UFO Alert Rating of 5 with a lower number of recent reports nationally. Louisiana was the 27th highest reporting state with 6 reports in January 2014 - while California had 102 reports - the highest reporting state in the nation.
Recent reports of low flying UFOs from around the country include:
- Military chasing UFOs? Witnesses in two states file reports
- Arizona witness photographs red glowing disc UFO at tree tops
- Florida witness recalls 'being' watching from hovering UFO
- New York witness says sphere UFO moved close
- Disc UFO over Virginia exhibits odd flight pattern
- Phoenix witness asks for help identifying UFOs
- Washington witness reports 'entity' crossing highway
- Witness considering UFOs disguised as jets
- UFO sighting? Don't run away - object may be back
- Traffic brakes for hovering triangle UFO over small New Hampshire town
- Slow moving cigar UFO reported under 500 feet by Missouri witness
- New Jersey witness says Facebook photo captured UFO that hovered over house
- Connecticut witness 'didn't stick around' after encountering triangle UFO
- Witness follows cylinder UFO spotted at tree top level over North Carolina
- Triangle UFO reported low over Ohio field
- Giant silent sphere UFO with lights reported over Georgia town
- Oklahoma witness says object 'size of a van' hovered over her home
- Silent low flying UFO spotted moving over Oregon town
- Triangle UFO reported dipping below tree line in Michigan town
- Low flying orange UFO made U-turn while Arkansas witness watched
- UFO reports wanted: Washington witnesses say disc-shaped craft too big to miss
- Florida photo capture looks like disc UFO
- Low flying orb UFO observed hovering before darting away over California town
You can read more details about other recently reported cases at the UFO Examiner home page.
The above quotes were edited for clarity. Please keep in mind that most UFO reports can be explained as something natural or man-made. If Louisiana MUFON investigates and reports back on this case, I will release an update. Please report UFO activity to MUFON.com.