An investigation is now underway for the death of a lottery winner that was killed. The 46-year-old Urooj Khan, was killed due to cyanide poisoning. The man's untimely death came just a day after he collected lottery winnings in the amount of $425,000 dollars, according to a Jan. 7 National Post report.
Khan bought the winning scratch-off in June of last year at a local 7-11. To his surprise, after he scratched off the ticket, he discovered he was the winner of $1,000,000. He opted for the lump sum payment, and he received his check on July 19. However, in a tragic turn of events he was dead the next day.
He died at an Evanston hospital due to cyanide poisoning, however, that was not known at the time. Initially, the Cook County medical examiner ruled the cause of death to be natural. However, a relative of Khan kept insisting that another autopsy be performed because he suspected foul play. His request was granted and another autopsy was performed last month, and it confirmed cyanide poisoning killed Khan.
Chicago Police suspect that the motive of the murder was money, and his body may be exhumed for further information as to whether the cyanide was ingested or inhaled.
Khan lived in West Rogers Park with his wife and their teenage daughter and he was the owner of three dry cleaners, and several rental condominiums.
The story about this lottery winner killed due to cyanide poisoning may make future lottery winners twink twice about going public with their winnings.
His wife is obviously devastated by the news of Khan's murder and she gave the following statement to media sources,
"He was the best husband on the entire planet.”