A Chicago lottery winner died of cyanide poisoning less than a month after he won, according to the Chicago Sun Times Jan. 7. Urooj Khan bought a scratch off ticket at a far north side 7-Eleven store and after scratching it off, actually jumped for joy since he held a $1 million winning instant lottery ticket. About a month after he won, he died at his West Rogers Park home.
At first, he was diagnosed with hardening of the arteries as the cause of his death. A relative of Khan requested a deeper investigation. Now, the Chicago man's death has been ruled a homicide and Cook County Medical Examiner Stephen Cena states that he died from cyanide poisoning. According to a full toxicology report, Khan had ingested a large amount of cyanide.
Investigators stated that exhuming Khan's body is probably the next step in order to provide further testing. Cina stated on Monday:
“That seems to be the way things are heading,” Cina said. “Depending on the condition of the body, we may be able to document the extent of any pre-existing conditions and do additional toxicological testing on other specimens.”
After winning the money, Khan told the Illinois Lottery that he planned to invest part of his winnings in his dry cleaning business. He died on July 20 at St. Francis Hospital in Evanston, Ill. At the time of death, the medical examiner's office performed an external exam, but no autopsy was conducted because there was no suspicion of foul play at that time.
Thanks for reading and to continue to read my articles, please click subscribe just above the comments section. You can contact me at Char.Raynor@yahoo.com.