A lottery winner exhumed on Fri., Jan. 18, 2013 died from cyanide poisoning. Khan Urooj died in July 2012, just one day after the Illinois lottery issued him a check in the amount of $425,000 after taxes for a prize he had won on a scratch ticket the previous month, according to CNN.
On the night that he died, Khan had eaten dinner and gone to bed. His wife heard him screaming and called for help. He was rushed to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. No autopsy was performed, and foul play was not suspected at the time. A family member of the lottery winner raised concerns that he was killed one week after the man's death. The relative's allegations prompted an investigation, but officials haven't announced a motive or determined whether the lottery winner was killed for his prize.
Now, six months later, the lottery winner was exhumed, and an autopsy has been performed. Medical Examiner Stephen Cina has already determined that Khan was murdered, and authorities are treating the case as a homicide investigation. However, the results of the exhumed lottery winner's autopsy have not yet been released. It could take several weeks before those results are available.