Intro: Valentine's desserts typically consist of chocolate, lots of chocolate. While it definitely has its place, healthy desserts like yogurt parfait recipes with fruit and peanuts offer a cool, sweet alternative. They allow the eater to enjoy some of the health benefits of peanuts. The yogurt also assists with weight loss, something that many of the fans of the Greek yogurt diet will attest.
Other Dessert Ideas for Valentine's Day: Some are Healthy, Some are Naughty -- All are Delish!
- Decorative desserts: How to make an easy cranberry or raspberry coulis sauce
- Delicious chocolate desserts: Homemade chocolate pudding, Paula Deen lava cake
- Best chocolate desserts: Top 5 for week of Nov. 24 - 30
You Really Want Me to go on the Greek Yogurt Diet on Valentine's Day?
Ah…Valentine's Day. The day filled with plenty of declarations of love and sweet nothings. And if you're planning your Valentine's dessert, many of the sweet nothings are the empty calories you'll get from your Valentine's dessert. As in nothing but calories and very, very few health benefits. Other than the psychological ones, which count, but may be bad for your waistline.
Wouldn't it be amazing if there was a delicious dessert that you could serve to your love on the Day of Love that keeps you slim and healthy, but still seems deliciously naughty like a Valentine's Day dessert should? Enter the yogurt parfait recipe.
The Valentine's Dessert With the Health Benefits of Peanuts and Yogurt
You probably already know the benefits of yogurt, but to give you a refresher, you can expect to give your body a dose of this goodness when you eat this Greek yogurt parfait with strawberries and peanuts:
- Plenty of good bacteria in your intestines, which keep your digestive system healthy -- an important consideration when you realize that 70% of your immune system is located in your belly.
- You'll also get the calcium for strong bones and teeth and some protein -- about 9 grams if you eat a 6-ounce serving -- from eating this yogurt parfait recipeAdd to that a dose of important vitamins like B-2 and B-12 plus potassium and magnesium, which help regulate your body's blood pressure amongst other things
- Excellent weight loss benefits from consuming the yogurt as any big fan of the Greek yogurt diet can tell you -- the calcium plus the protein in yogurt helps your body release the extra weight you might be carrying around
But what you may not have known by choosing to add peanuts to the Valentine's dessert, you also enjoy the health benefits of peanuts. As you read on, you'll find that peanuts are just as good for you:
- Peanuts give you an excellent source of vitamin E, protein, manganese, folate and niacin. Folate, for example, helps your body produce more healthy cells, including your blood cells, something you also need for your immune system.
- This little nut that makes such tasty recipes as the peanut butter and jelly muffins we enjoy in the morning also has the same chemical -- resveratrol -- that gives red grapes and wine their ability to leep your cardiovascular system healthy
- And peanuts are a good source of antioxidants
Valentine's Dessert: Greek Yogurt Parfait With Peanuts and Strawberries
- 1 c. of Greek yogurt -- plain or vanilla
- 1 c. of sliced strawberries or whole blueberries or your favorite fruits
- 4 tsp peanuts
- Prepare the fruit by slicing it so that it's bite-size.
- Drop 1/4 cup of the Greek yogurt into the bottom of a parfait glass.
- Add some of the fruit and peanuts to the top of the yogurt.
- Layer the contents like this until you've used up the yogurt, the peanuts and the fruit.
As you consider the information in this article, you may be thinking you'd like to read more about the Greek Yogurt Diet. If so, you'll find information here about the Greek yogurt diet and here on US News.
If you know of others who'd also like to experience the benefits of the Greek yogurt diet and of peanuts, please share the URL link for this article via email and social media.
Happy Valentine's Day!