Whether you’re gearing up for beach season, or just tired of lugging around those extra pounds along the waistline, then you might be interested in learning about some of the amazing ab exercises that can shave away that unwanted fat, and expose those naturally toned abs ⎯ all from the privacy of your own home.
Below are five of Fitness Magazine’s top exercises for achieving those ‘shredded abs.'
Bear in mind that these moves may look and feel ridiculous, so you might feel more comfortable doing them alone at first, but once your roommate or significant other catches a glimpse of your newfound results, you may soon find them jumping right in next to you.
- Sit on the edge of a sturdy chair, and place your hands on the edge with your fingers pointing toward your knees.
- Raise your toes 2-4 inches off the floor, as you lift your butt off the chair.
- Hold this position for as long as you can ⎯ aim for 5-10 seconds.
- Lower yourself down, then repeat.
- Continue the exercise for one minute. Complete three sets.
- Lie on your left side on the floor with your legs stacked and a rolled-up towel between your thighs, propping the torso on the left elbow so that the left forearm is perpendicular to your torso.
- Elevate your hips so that your body forms a straight line from head to toe, squeezing the towel between your thighs. Hold for a one-minute count, and then lower.
- Do 10 reps, then switch sides and repeat. Complete three sets.
THE SIDE CRUNCH
- Kneel on the floor and lean over on your right side, placing your right palm on the floor.
- Keeping your weight balanced, slowly extend your left leg and point your toes.
- Place your left hand behind your head, pointing your elbow toward the ceiling.
- Slowly lift your leg to hip height as you extend your arm above your leg, with your palm facing forward.
- Look over your hand while bringing the left side of your rib cage toward your hip.
- Lower to your starting position, and then repeat 6-8 times.
- Do two sets of 6-8 reps, and then switch sides.
- Sit on the floor and lean back so you rest on your elbows, then bring your feet together on a wall in front of you so that your knees are bent about 90 degrees.
- Extend legs up, keeping your feet against the wall, then press the lower back into the floor and squeeze your abs, as you lift your arms to reach toward your feet.
- Complete 20 pulses: Curl torso up one inch, and then lower one inch.
- Do three sets, hugging your knees to your chest to rest between sets.
- Sit tall on the floor with your knees bent by your chest and your hands at your sides.
- Lie down with your knees bent and your palms facing down.
- Exhale and raise your head and shoulders off the floor.
- Vigorously pump your arms six inches up and down, reaching with your fingertips.
- Inhale for five pumps, and then exhale for 5 pumps. Make sure your chin is tucked in toward your chest.
- Do 100 pumps, or 10 full breaths.
YOU'RE ON YOUR WAY
These are just a few examples of how you can start striving for the toned midsection of your dreams. Keep in mind, however, along with vigorous exercise also comes proper diet and nutrition. Check out Choosemyplate.gov for healthy eating on a budget.
Like most things in life, exercise and proper diet is about motivation and persistence.
Get to work.