A Long Island man who made national headlines after a riot broke out during his arraignment on murder charges in 2013 has been acquitted on all counts.
Pedro Merchant, 22, was found not guilty Wednesday of second-degree murder and second-degree weapons possession charges after a trial that lasted more than a week in the Nassau County Court in Mineola.
Merchant had been accused of fatally shooting 17-year-old Dante Quinones in front of a home on Dartmouth Street in Hempstead on Sept. 11, 2013.
"The jury reached the right verdict based on the evidence that was presented to them," Merchant's lawyer, Greg Madey, said Wednesday. "Although I believe it was the right verdict, I feel very bad for the victim's family, especially his mother."
A spokesman said Acting Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas had no comment on the acquittal.
In September 2013, six people were arrested after the suspect’s supporters and friends began fighting with the victim’s family. A large riot ensued, which spilled out from the courtroom to the hallways and eventually onto the streets around the courthouse.
The scuffle began when someone shouted out, “I love you, Pedro!” from the audience after his arraignment. As shouting continued, punches were thrown and at least two people were hospitalized.
