1. AXS Entertainment
  2. Arts & Entertainment
  3. TV

Lone Star first new TV show cancelled dies a quick death on FOX

See also

Monday night on Fox must be haunted. Lone Star was a funny, well acted, unusual drama about a situation that probably happens more times than we'd like to imagine... a person living two lives. Maybe that's what killed it, who knows? There are shows that stay on TV for years and years with predictable plot lines and poor acting, but apparently they appeal to a wider audience.

Why didn't FOX give this show more time than just two weeks? Amid all of the other new season offerings, maybe Lone Star just needed to find it's niche.

Week one saw the show executive producer Kyle Killen send out a pleading letter to fans on his blog, The Letter Eleven.

Do you like to root for the underdog? Because I've got an underdog of epic proportions for you. We're talking long, long shot. Like a legless horse in the Kentucky Derby. A blind basketball team facing the 95 Bulls. If somehow Rudy and Rocky had a baby it still wouldn't be as big an underdog as our little show... Lone Star.

Lynette Rice from Entertainment weekly had the stat's information for Lone Star's week two. The new show was up against some pretty hefty competition with the new shocker series of the season "The Event", and the ever popular "Dancing with the Stars".

The freshman series on Monday posted a 23% decline among adults 18-49 versus last week and only averaged 3.23 million viewers, down from its premiere audience of 4.1 million, according to preliminary results. The drama actually lost eyeballs in its second half-hour, from 3.57 million to 2.09 million.

Maybe the show made people too uncomfortable with the tension of our anti-hero always about to be caught or not, maybe it was because the critics loved it and nobody likes a critic? There were previews for next weeks show which looked great! A 20th Century Fox spokesperson stated that five episodes have been shot with production stopping immediately. Maybe a miracle can happen and FOX will pull it back in for a revival midseason? Maybe USA Network will pull it over to their network. With all of their hit shows already racing up the charts, they need a new underdog to champion.

"Lie to Me" will replace Lone Star next week but this examiner will not be watching FOX on Mondays in protest.

Sources on Lone Star Cancellation

The Ausiello Files on EW.com

Hollywood Insider Lynette Rice

The Letter Eleven - You're Invited to Our Stunning Upset

To keep up with the latest news on FOX Shows with 24 connections follow on Twitter @USA24Examinerand join Celebrity BUZZ on Facebook for the latest scoops, previews and pictures from about all your favorite celebrities.

Comments

• Rebecca Poling 3 years ago

I never heard a single person - until now - say they liked it. In fact, it's been a long time since I've heard so many people talking about a show they really didn't like. I don't know what the problem was but I'm not holding my breath for a miracle on this one. :-)

• melissa muller 3 years ago

its sad that Wlaker Ranger made it so long...with terrible acting & same story over & over....Lone Star had it beat by a long shot. This really sucks!!

• Profile picture of Danny Cox
    Danny Cox 3 years ago

My God that was quick. It was barely even given a chance.

• Profile picture of Whitney Perkins
    Whitney Perkins 3 years ago

I hate it that they don't give shows time now. Cheers wouldn't have made it by today's standards!

• anonymous 3 years ago

People who pretend to be "deep" say they like it... like critics. They all fell flat on their faces and are now campaigning to save the show or transfer it to a cable network...so it can fail miserably again. I have never seen a show where I wanted a character to be killed off immediately...and that was the lead character!

• Tom P - Guru 42 3 years ago

Was it that bad??? Never got a chance to watch it, hard to believe it got canned after only 2 episodes, because there is quite a bit of crap on TV.

you have GOT to be kidding, right? this show was definitely not crap. the fact that its ratings failed to compete against a program as nauseating as dancing with the stars is a commentary on the "modern" mindset. can't be be too original or deviate from the cookie cutter formula too much, else you risk annihilation. pardon me while i go puke into my sock drawer...

• Profile picture of Chrissy Morin
    Chrissy Morin 3 years ago

I agree with you... Dancing with the Stars is just NOT my cup of tea, nor are any of the other "reality" cough... cough... shows on tv.

• Profile picture of Julia Hanna
    Julia Hanna 3 years ago

I never even heard of it. It sure went fast.

• PrettyMiss 3 years ago

Lone Star was a great show! It was different, not like other same ole same show.

• C.A.T. 3 years ago

I would have preferred not to have the main character in two marriages at once. Loved everything else about the show. Sorry to see it cut. I have never watched "reality" shows & do not have cable, so was delighted to have a new drama.

• Doe 3 years ago

Another great show not given a change. No wonder I do not watch Fox any longer. This was the only show I had watched on that channel.

• J2the 3 years ago

It wasn't edgy enough. We were being fed that it's the most original show that came out in years, but all hand us a nice guy that didn't even want to be a con man anymore? Why bother watch it? I want to see Matchstick Men stretched out into a television show. They didn't even wet our appetite by giving us one last big con. Bob just wanted to quit. SO what are we left watching? A show about a guy wanting his fathers approval.

Okay, I can't say I'm glad to see it go because it had some great qualities despite the yawner of the main plot. There was a reason why I was looking forward to tuning in. He had two lives. Now that's great TV if you do it right. But Bob was TO nice of a guy. It's like the double life didn't even fit his personality.

I would have preferred the writers to give us a slick talking bastard, and we learn to love him. That would have made great TV.

Today's top buzz...

• Backstreet Boys
    The Backstreet Boys have canceled several upcoming Israel shows, citing safety concerns
    Music Buzz
  • NFL
    The NFL is considering adding a stadium to Los Angeles, but is it a good idea?
    Video
    NFL Buzz
  • Hulk Hogan
    Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin are on board for this year's WWE SummerSlam
    WWE News
  • Paul McCartney
    Get an exclusive look at Paul McCartney's soundcheck for a recent performance
    Camera
    20 Photos
  • Oscar contenders
    Oscar season is about to begin as fall festivals announce films
    Camera
    9 Photos
  • Sammy Hagar
    Sammy Hagar is taking fans on a raucous history of rock on the road
    Camera