Across America, hundreds of thousands of high school juniors and seniors will be attending their proms during the months of April, May and June. This is supposed to be a night where students can get together with their friends and celebrate the end of the school year and their growing independence. Tragically, many of those students won’t make it home. According to statistics provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) 46 percent of traffic deaths among 15-20 year olds during typical prom weekends in a recent year were alcohol-related.
Parents of one local high school decided 15 years ago to make a difference in the lives of their students by providing supervised fun in the hours after prom ends, and a safe alternative to otherwise dangerous after prom activities. Students don’t have to attend prom to enjoy the after prom activities.
Parent members of the Rampart High School After Prom Committee have been working since the beginning of the school year planning the 15th annual After Prom event, which will take place at Mr. Biggs, 5825 Mark Dabling Blvd., 80919, in the early morning hours of Sunday, May 9. Last year's After Prom event (also held at Mr. Biggs) was attended by over 500 students. The Rampart After Prom Committee is expecting the same turn out this year.
Planning an event of this magnitude is no small task and the expense is high. It takes approximately $20,000 each year for the Rampart After Prom Committee to host a successful event. Facility rental, food, decorations, activities, and prizes all have to be paid from money raised. Neither the school or district office provides financial support to the event. Instead, the committee relies entirely on donations from parents and/or local businesses. Fundraising results dictate how much students are charged to attend After Prom. This year’s ticket price for the Rampart After Prom event is $10. Additionally, the After Prom Committee depends upon the support of 100 parent and teacher volunteers to work various activities the night of the event.
Some of the money raised for After Prom goes toward purchasing grand prizes that are awarded to juniors and seniors at the end of the party. The grand prizes keep many of the teens at the party until the last name is drawn. Additionally, the After Prom Committee will award over 150 smaller prizes throughout the night.
Always keeping the safety of students at the forefront, the Rampart After Prom Committee enforces the following rules:
• After Prom is an alcohol, drug , and tobacco free event
• Students must register any guests that they plan to bring to the event and all must show a student ID the night of After Prom
• There is no admission after 2:00 a.m.
• There is no re-entry if a student chooses to leave before 4:30 a.m.
• Entrance and exit times are documented
• RHS Juniors and Seniors ONLY are eligible for ongoing prize & winners must be present to win (sophomores and freshmen and guests from other schools are not eligible to win prizes).
In return for complying with the rules, students can enjoy the following for the cost of a $10 ticket:
• Unlimited access to the activities provided by Mr. Biggs including go-karts, laser tag, Battletech: Firestorm, bumper cars, mini golf, an arcade and bowling.
• Pizza and soda provided by Mr. Biggs
• Desserts and other snacks provided by Rampart parent volunteers
• A complimentary 2010 After Prom t-shirt
• Access to a “Human Hamster Ball”, a casino (with play money), and Branden Darcel, an amazing roving magician (www.brandendarcel.com)
• Over 150 hourly prizes
• Unbelievable grand prizes like a MacBook computer, two Toshiba laptop computers, two flat screen TV/DVD combos, two 32GB iTouches, two Wii systems, Visa gift cards, a Rock Band, and a Guitar Hero to name a few
The goal of the Rampart High School After Prom Committee is to keep students safe during the hours following prom. This year’s event promises to deliver by providing a fun alternative that students (and parent volunteers) will love! Contact me if you'd like more information about the Rampart High School After Prom Committee or the 2010 After Prom event.
Be the first to get Colorado Springs Parenting updates. Subscribe to my articles by clicking the 'Subscribe' e-mail link above. You will receive automatic e-mail notification of articles, events, reviews and more.
I welcome your comments and opinions. Please leave them in the comments section above.