It's easy to be green. Buy local! Today this Examiner spoke with Elliot Weiler on KPLR 11 at Noon to talk about great local gift ideas for Father's Day. I shared a host of wonderful products all made right here in St. Louis - everything from grooming products to handcrafted salamis and chocolates. Click here to see the interview. Read below to get more information about everything I shared.
The Gift of Easy, Quick Grooming. Help Dad look good, smell good and save time with ManKind, the all-natural men's line from Kind Soap Company, based in Webster Groves. They have a wide variety of time-saving multi-taskers. They're scented with natural, essential oils and smell so good – but in a rugged, manly way that won't make Dad smell girly.
- Some of moury favorites are the It Sticks (use as a deodorant, solid cologne, lotion bar for dry hands and feet, and shave balm), the All-Purpose Shower/Shampoo/Shave Gel (one bottle does so much!) and the Shower & Shampoo Bars (one bar for all over).
- Scents include Calm Waters (smells like lounging by the lake), Cedar Grove (a refreshing scent reminiscent of a warm, summer breeze), Mountain Air (an invigorating, minty blend that smells like being at t the top of a mountain), Woodland Pine (an uplifting blend like a hike in the woods).
- Find them at kindsoap.com, at their shop in Webster Groves and at Whole Foods in Brentwood.
The Gift of a Great Shave. I love these natural, handmade shaving soaps, shave oils, shaving brush and artisan soaps from Sudsy Soapery. Everything smells amazing and helps you smell great and get a closer shave while pampering skin (no stripped, dried out skin after shaving).
- Some of my favorite scents are the Lavender Peppermint and their new Citrus & Bay (available for the shaving soaps and oils) and the Forrest Walk Soap (patchouli, spearmint and cedarwood).
- You can get the shaving soap and brush together as a set for only $12.95 - a very reasonably priced gift set!
- Find them at sudsysoapery.com and at the Soulard Farmer's Market.
The Gift of Outstanding Sweets. We're so lucky to have Kakao Chocolate in St. Louis. Their chocolates and candies are world class and yet they make them right here in St. Louis fresh for us. They use the best ingredients. For example, their truffles are made with fresh cream, real butter, vanilla bean seeds – no extract, the finest spices, nuts and liqueurs, crafted into velvety confections and hand-dipped into a special Kakao blend of chocolate.
- How about a set of tools made of chocolate or some pecan brittle made with bacon?! Their top-seller is the sea salt caramels so you can't go wrong with those. Another great choice is a box of truffles. They're uniquely made with ingredients like Turkish coffee, chilis and chai tea.
- Find them at kakao.com and at their two stores in Maplewood and on Jefferson.
The Gift of Handcrafted Salame. Salume Beddu expertly spices, hand crafts and perfectly cures outstanding Italian and European-style cured meats and fresh sausages. This Father's Day they're offering their three most popular salamis as a set for $21 (regularly $8 each). Get a set for Dad and a set for yourself. They're that good!
- Calabrese is my personal favorite - a spicy southern-Italian salame made with chilis, coriander and garlic
- Finocchiona is a traditional Tuscan-style salame made with red wine, toasted fennel and black pepper.
- Veneto is a lean, Venetian-style salame made with a host of Eastern spices, including cinnamon, cardamon, ginger and black pepper.
- Find them at salumebeddu.com and at their shop on Hampton Avenue.
(This article originally appeared on Hello Beauty)