Chris Thompson, Karen Constant, Brittany Joyal, and Rosy McMichael of the United States, have been chosen along with 12 global contestants to participate in the interactive, online competition ‘SOS Island: Survival of the Smartest’ hosted by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
SOS Island merges live online streaming, social media and survival tactics to engage with audiences in an entirely new way. Over the course of the competition, viewers will be able to follow, interact with and vote for their favorite contestants through social media. ‘SOS Island’ debuts via live-stream on YouTube and Facebook on Sept. 30 at 3:30pm EST.
With over 11,500 submission videos from 132 countries, Samsung selected the top 16 global contestants who will depart to Puerto Rico on Sept. 28. They will spend one week training alongside survival expert and TV star Les Stroud. The final eight contestants who make the cut will proceed to SOS Island, a secret uninhabited island where they will survive in the wild and compete in challenges and games.
The survivors will then face off in a series of challenges using the Samsung GALAXY S4 zoom and GALAXY NX camera. The ultimate champion will be awarded the opportunity to win their own private island experience, a package worth $100,000 USD.
Meet the SOS Island Castaways:
- CHRIS THOMPSON, “The Hysterical Hottie” – After watching his original musical performances and light-hearted video blogs on YouTube, it becomes apparent that Thompson doesn’t shy away from the spotlight. The Los Angeles resident, who will do just about anything for a laugh, is not all fun and games. Thompson, 31, says he’s a very loyal friend who is always there to lend a hand.
- KAREN CONSTANT, “The Glam Enthusiast” – Constant, 26, is a teacher during the day. But when she goes to her home in Boston, she’s known to the YouTube community as ‘Glam Fun.’ With over 30,000 subscribers, she creates beauty tutorials that are aimed to entertain and often incorporate music into her videos. Karen loves to keep her viewers on their toes, so one never knows which hairdo she’ll be sporting. Constant is determined to win SOS Island with her fierce and bubbly personality.
- BRITTANY JOYAL, “The Hollywood Hopeful” – Joyal, 22, resides in Hollywood, Calif. A YouTube sensation in her own right, Joyal dropped out of college to make videos for a living. She is ready for anything thrown her way, armed with her quick wit and spunky personality.
- ROSY MCMICHAEL, “The Make-Up Maven” – Originally from Mexico, McMichael, 32, resides in Brownsville, Texas with her husband and 8-month-old son. The teacher-turned-make-up artist enjoys filming tutorials for millions of fans on her YouTube channel. She describes herself as fun, creative and positive — yet competitive.
‘SOS Island’ casting director Vinnie Potestivo said, “These contestants are not only extremely outgoing, but tech-savvy too. This confidence and skill will set them apart on the island.”
The 12 remaining contestants chosen in the first round of casting include Liron Maimon from Israel; Murad Ali from Jordan; Thomas Post of Australia; Mert Erdir from Turkey; Kalyn Nicholson of Canada; Alexander Man'kov from Russia; Robin Israelson from Sweden; Jo Crawshaw of South Africa; and Graham Hughes from the United Kingdom. The final contestants are still to be announced.
On ‘SOS Island: Survival of The Smartest,’ contestants will advance based on their survival skills on the island, social media savvy to solicit votes and their technology smarts to maximize the functionality of their Samsung devices.
“The knowledge and skills required for survival on a deserted island will be vital to these contestants throughout the competition,” Les Stroud said. “This will be an experience these contestants and viewers will not soon forget.”
Tune in to the live stream on YouTube and Facebook on Sept. 30 as training week begins. Viewers can follow contestants via Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. The final eight will be selected on Oct. 5. For more information on the “SOS Island: Survival of the Smartest” campaign, please visit www.sos-island.com.
- Campaign Page : www.sos-island.com
- Campaign Twitter Page : https://twitter.com/SOS_Island
- Campaign Instagram Page : http://instagram.com/SOS_Island
- Samsung Camera Facebook : www.facebook.com/samsungcamera
- Samsung Camera YouTube : www.youtube.com/samsungcamera
- GALAXY NX Microsite : http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxycamera/nx/
- GALAXY S4 zoom Microsite : http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxycamera/s4zoom/