Living without a thyroid

exercise is very important for weight mgmt.
exercise is very important for weight mgmt.
FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Comments

• Sue 5 years ago

Awesome article for Thyroid Awareness! For folks who don't have knowledge of how vital this important organ is to the body, it will be a real eye opener. It is not something that should be neglected.

• Angela 5 years ago

I'm sorry to hear of your struggles without a thyroid. During neck surgery doctors found my thyroid wrapped around my esophagus & voice box. Along with that had grown 130% of it's normal size. They had to dig it out before continuing the neck surgery. I was 42 at the time but have not had any weight issues. Infact the exact opposite. My weight has been easier to maintain than anytime in my life. Each person's experience is different...I hope yours gets better, angela

• Hannah 5 years ago

Great article thanks! I have also had a total thyroidectomy due to cancer, & struggled with weight for years. I have now steadied my weight & become a personal trainer, but still struggle to find more information about weight & fitness without a thyroid. I am training for triathlons & hope to do a marathon, but feel like I need more info on higher intensity training without a thyroid. Does anyone know anywhere I could get more info?

• Dee Ann 5 years ago

Hannah, I'm writing a health a d fitness book centered around various thyroid stories.
    I would love to include you if you don't mind? Please let me know
    if I can, I don't have any other cancer stories..

• Patty 5 years ago

I just a total thyroid removal and I am scared to death. I do not know anything about this and I feel like I am going to gain a bunch of weight, have no energy, be brainless and not have a normal life again except no thyroid. Can anyone please tell me what to really expect when they want me to take synthroid? Any responses would be more than appreciated. Thank you

• David 3 years ago

I'm 35, had a total Thyroid removal in Sept of 2011 due to Cancer. Since I have gained 50pds which put me at 350pds and seem to have a gain of 1/2pd a week give or take more give than take i guess. I have complained to Dr. he says my blood work is ok and will not change my dosage. At this rate im gonna be 500pds before next year. I don't know what im going to do!!!!

• Nancy 1 year ago

All my life I was thin the out of no where my weight went up,regular thyroid testing showed nothing the a lump in my neck the size of a pecan popped up I was told it was Cancer I had my thyroid and six lymph nodes removed ,it's been nine years and the weight struggle is awful . I eat once a day and am Vegetarian no one has any answered my Dr' s just smile and say oh you're fine just exercise more, I can't exercise 24/7 because nothing had helped so I just struggle on. More needs to be done for those of us who've had cancer and who are suppressed. I'm grateful for my surgery and my life just not the extra pounds