Skip to main content

See also:

Living With Cancer XXII

Living With Cancer XXII

I woke up that Sunday feeling okay. I should have been hung-over but I wasn't. My Father was sitting in his chair drinking a cup of coffee. I hadn't seen that for over a year. I did not know what to say to him. What's funny is I don't think he knew what to say to me. He asked what I had to do that day. I told him Grandma wanted me to go with them to pick out the casket at the funeral home. Once again my Aunt seemed to think that it was her show until my Grandmother asked me what I thought. I told her we didn't need to go flashy as Mom was not a flashy woman. Mom was stunning when she got dressed up, but Mom could also dress down just as easily . Grandma agreed with me. I had to go to my Aunt's for lunch and that was when the bomb was dropped.

It seemed my aunt and my cousin had gone through Mom's jewelry and taken it all. I wanted two pieces that I had made when I had gone off to summer camp. I was told that the items I wanted were considered junk and that they had been thrown away. I then demanded that they return the rest and was told they would when they had gone through it all. I looked at Grandma and asked her if she could get home. She said yes and without saying a word I left. My family had robbed my Mother's jewelry.

My Grandmother called me later and tried to calm me down. I was furious. My Father literally wanted to rip their heads off when he found out and especially since he had paid for most of it. I didn't make a big thing about it but I never forgot it.

My Grandmother on my Father's side had taken my Mom's clothes to a charity organization she worked for through her church. I figured that was cool. Mom would have liked that. When I walked into my Mom's room it had almost been stripped bare though she had been dead less than 24 hours. You have to love family. I was glad my time out of the house this Sunday was over. My Father left to visit his girlfriend.

I was alone in the house. It was quiet and I made myself a nice steak dinner and after rolled up a big fat joint. I sat in the living room with my feet propped up and smoked my little heart out. Blasting my music from Mom's stereo and drinking a nice Heineken. I just couldn't believe I had become an adult. I was technically on my own. I had four months to go till I was in the Army and I didn't have a clue as to what I was going to do. The next evening was the wake but that Monday morning my father told me what my life would consist of for those four months. Man was I in hell.