1. AXS Entertainment
  2. Arts & Entertainment
  3. Music

LIVE UPDATE IV: McCartney Lynch Foundation ticket pre-sale -- Lynch Foundation responds (EXCLUSIVE)

The David Lynch Foundation has been in touch with me over concerns on the pre-sale situation. Here is their response to the pre-sale as it took place Sunday morning and what they would like fans to know.

Their spokesman told me they tried to conduct this in a fair and responsible way. They said the presale code, tm4kids, was sent at 11 a.m. Eastern.  A few people were told the code would go out at noon, but those people were contacted and told of the corrected time.  It took over 20 minutes, and in some cases 30 and 40 minutes, for the server to cycle through and for all emails to be sent. By the time the last emails were received, most tickets had already been sold.

Seventy-five percent of the general admission tickets were available for the presale. The remaining 25% of those tickets will go on sale Monday morning. The spokesman said they did provide an early offering with the presale code to a few prior Foundation donors, but it was a relatively small group of people, which the spokesman estimated was numbered in the hundreds, and all personally known to the foundation. Premium tickets/packages have been on sale for the last 4-5 days and online registrants had the opportunity to purchase those, starting at $1,250 for premium seats and the after-party, though for many people, in these shaky economic times, the premium packages were not really an option. The spokesman noted he received an email that prior to 11 a.m. there were only 20 tickets on Stubhub, then right after 11 a.m. he saw it jump to 200.

The spokesman said they had a lot of email delivery bouncebacks and they suggest some who did not receive the message may have input the email incorrectly during the early registration process or there was some other computer issue.

"This is a benefit concert and we did our best to strike a balance between raising money from premium priced tickets/packages and offering reasonably priced tickets to fans," they said. "It is also Paul and Ringo appearing together." They say did their best to guard against scalpers.

Here is Ticketmaster's explanation of internet pre-sales, taken from their Ticket FAQ.

What is an Internet Pre-sale?
Occasionally, some events will be available to purchase online before they go on sale to the general public. These pre-sales frequently require a password that may be distributed by the venue, artist, team, or promoter of either the event or the pre-sale, or distributed by Ticketmaster.com via email promotions and TicketAlerts. Often, these passwords are distributed to exclusive members of clubs or certain other types of groups and cannot be offered to members of the public. Links may be published on the Event Information page at the time of pre-sale. Ticketmaster Phone Center and Customer Service representatives usually cannot give out passwords. If an event is scheduled for pre-sale and we are authorized to publish it in advance, the event page may list an "Internet Pre-sale" date with the ticket sales information.

When entering your pre-sale password into a promotional page, window or box in an email, please ensure you are entering it in the appropriate box: A pre-sale password is not the same as your My Ticketmaster password.

Internet pre-sales are usually sold from a reserved allotment of seats, which may not reflect the same availability during the public ticket sale. Internet pre-sales provide the advantage of exclusive purchasing windows in advance of the public sale, which often results in less people competing for the pool of available seats. However, Internet pre-sales may also have limited seating available in various areas - these pre-sales are intended as advance purchasing windows and do not necessarily provide access to better seating. In fact, it is possible that you may be able to obtain tickets for better seats at the general public sale than those that you purchase through a pre-sale. We must remind you that Ticketmaster does not offer refunds or exchanges, so you will not be able to replace the tickets you obtain at a pre-sale with other tickets that become available at a later date.

• Have our Beatles Examiner columns delivered conveniently to your inbox. Click SUBSCRIBE on the button below this column. It's free. (And we promise we'll never send spam or give out your information.)
  • Our previous columns are available below.
  • Write to us at beatlesexaminer@gmail.com
  • NEW! Follow us on Twitter.
  • For more Beatle news and history, see my Beatle website Abbeyrd's Beatles Page.

You might also enjoy these:

Comments

• Patti M 5 years ago

This was not handled well; they should have realized between their server sending out the emails and recipient's ISP accepting said emails, the codes should have been sent out an hour or 30 minutes before the onsale. I've been told the password was posted on various password sites hours before the 11:00 a.m. sale. My password email came in 16 minutes after the sale started; luckily I was at the computer and prepared. I got one ticket for myself; it would have been more enjoyable if I would have been able to get a pair to share the show with a companion. We are sitting clear across the room from each other.

I understand the foundation wants to give preference to their donors, I have no problem with that.

For a high demand show the ticket limit for this show should not have been 6 tickets, it should have been 2.

I do consider myself fortunate to get a ticket, even though I consider the location of said ticket to be overpriced, even for a charity gig.

Who ever was giving the foundation advice on how to conduct this gave them bad advice.

• MicC 5 years ago

I don't think they anticipated the volume of interest and number of scalpers on the planet.

• Marie 5 years ago

I am sure there is no perfect way to handle these sales. Other than getting the password 12 minutes late I think they at least made an attempt to be fair. The charity is trying to raise money and offering the packages was their way to do that. The presale password was a bit off, but it is always a race getting tickets at shows like this anyway. This was always going to be tight with Paul and then adding Ringo on made it more of a struggle for tickets. Add on to that the fact that there are only 6200 seats and there will be a latge number of disappointed people. The ticket gods must have been smiling on me as I got 2 seats together in the presale after repeated tries.

• PewterPan 5 years ago

I agree, half the Beatles in a 6,000 seat venue? Anyway you look at it there is gonna be lots of disapointed people. Its unavoidable. They did the best they could I think.

• Patti M 5 years ago

25 percent of the house left for Monday is only 1500 tickets (RCMH capacity is 6000 according to their website). Those are going to be gone in the blink of an eye.

• martin 5 years ago

I was hoping to get the highest prized tickets, the 504.50 ones, but apparently those were sold out first..literally within seconds, or at least it seemed that way. I got my email at 11:07 am and got on the 1MEZZ for $329.50. I'm just glad I could at least get a seat even thought I would have loved orchestra seats. They're on sale at stubhub now but well..too late.

• Jim M 5 years ago

My email came at 11:30AM. I had opened up five Ticketmasater windows and one "hit" so at least I got two tickets.

The real problem --- TICKETMASTER. They have become THE major problem in selling tickets to any event. It used to be that everyone had an equal shot at tickets -- NO MORE !! So many tickets are set aside or given to brokers that few are really left to be bought on Ticketmaster. Someday there WILL be a revolt !!

• Mary Ricksen 5 years ago

One of my relatives has an extensive collection of Beatle's memorabilia. I mean a lot of it. Including autographs, this is one of the best around. Know anyone interested in buying it?

• maria 5 years ago

Mary... yes, I'm interested.

• Barb P 5 years ago

I'm sorry but this Foundation is very ill-experienced in handling something like this. They KNEW and saw the amount of response they got from just those who signed up to just get information about the tickets, so there is no excuse that they tried to be fair,blah,blah.
    They should have sent out the email with code the night before so it would have been in everyone's inbox by morning. And they should not have had donators able to buy tickets even sooner. Um, aren't fans who bought tickets also doantors?? They donated the cost of the ticket they bought. Badly arranged and badly handled and it will cost them some bad karma reputation for their next event. I had decided to pass on getting ticket due to being unable to afford even the $80 right now & and also since it's not a full Paul or Ringo show. Now I am feeling more secure in my decision seeing what Foundation and Ticketmaster did this morning. I wouldn't want to give any money to Lynch.
    I wonder if they purposely never had any of the cheapest seats and had this explanantion release ready. Not feeling the love for Lynch or ticketmaster that's for sure. Will wait for a full Macca or full Ringo concert in NYC area.

• Barb P 5 years ago

Curious to see what they will do with the seats that were allotted for the Premium Pkgs since they say "for many people, in these shaky economic times, the premium packages were not really an option". So if they don't sell all the seats set aside as premium, will those remain empty or will they put them at lower prices? They better hold a meditation session just before the concert starts so the audience can relax after this mess.

• Daniel 5 years ago

I got my Email at 10.30 for some reason(yes i set my clock up) but even at that pretty much everything good was gone.Luckily someone sent me the code at 9.30 but I cant say more about that

• FWC 5 years ago

The David Lynch Foundation site shows all the 1,250 seats as being sold out, and the higher priced ones as being Wait List only.

• FWC 5 years ago

Sorry, meant the '$1,250 premium seats', link at www.davidlynchfoundation.org/concert-packages.html

• Steve Marinucci (Beatles Examiner) 5 years ago

Barb P: The word I had is that the special packages are just about gone, so there won't be any seats to sell down.

• Jim M 5 years ago

If you thought the pre-sale was a bust, you should have been on for the regular sale this morning (Monday) at 11AM.

I had opened 4 Tickmaster windows and starting precisely at 11AM trying to get tickets. NO HITS WHATSOEVER !! As noted there may have been about 1500 tickets left for the public sale. I'm sure they all were sold in less than a minute.

I was very fortunate to luckily get one "hit" during the pre-sale for 2 tickets. I needed 4 tickets. Our friends are now at the mercy of eBay or Stubhub or other rip off prices on the internet.

As I mentioned above, we must, I repeat, MUST stop this Ticketmaster absurdity. I hope that someday in the future venues will start selling their tickets themselves and totally do away with Ticketmaster. There is really no other way for sanity to return to the "ticket selling world" as long as Ticketmaster remains the major way venues sell their tickets. From the comments put out by the David Lynch Foundation you can tell that they were embarassed and upset about how the sale transpired. Hey, DL Foundation -- it was because you fell for Ticketmaster !!

Hopefully they learned their lesson.

• Ignacio Giron 5 years ago

Im Nacho Giron, from Argentina... i have just buy mi airplane ticket to go to the show, and today i wake up early to buy the Mc Cartney ticket... but i cant!!! It´s impossible by Ticketmaster. HELP! What can i do? THANK YOU A LOT! Im a really Beatle fan, but i live so far away, and we can´t go to this kind of concerts...

• RestaurateurSF 5 years ago

It is a shame that a charitable foundation such as that of David Lynch, where your ticket money is supposed to be benefitting school children evolves into contributing to the income of ticket scalpers. I registerd for the presale and tried the joke of ticketmaster. I guess I was lucky to get 2 orchestra seats for close to $1,400.on stubhub, but somehow feel the money I am spending is not to benefit any school kids. I was once a Detroit elementary school kid who paid $6 to see the Beatles in 1964, and today as a major fan living in San Francisco and working hard for my money, it is a show I must see, but difficult to feel I have helped anyone, including myself.

• Barb P 5 years ago

I've gone to conerts at other venues and bought tickets online at the venue's own website boxoffice. No hassles even when rejecting what came up and trying for different seats. I think this is what I am going to do from now on. Either buy directly in person at boxoffice if venue is in NYC, or only go to shows where you can purchase tickets from the venue's own online reservation place. Now in the Daily News today is another story of rip off ticketmaster screwing the fans of Leonard Cohen who tried to get tickets at 10am for his show at Radio City for May. They had same problems, but they took it to the papers to protest ticketmaster. We should too!
    I was able to get a back orchestra ticket for a friend yesterday for Lynch thing, and another friend was able to get a $99 ticket yesterday also, but that still does not diminish the hell that is ticketmonster.
    You can try for tickets at Radio City box office in person today - that may be the most legit way if anyone still wants to buy.
    (and don't forget there may also be tktmaster sales from yesterday that turn out to not go through due to credit card problem or whatever, and those tickets will get thrown back out into the system to be repurchased. SO keep eye on that.)