Goldville was located in north Tallapoosa County during the mid-1840’s and is 21 miles north of Dadeville on SR 49 in an area including some of the state’s well known mines.
Hobby prospector Joe Waters explains “In 1842, gold was discovered in Northeast Tallapoosa County . . . . The population of Goldville quickly reached 3,500 . . . . The gold was there, but the methods of obtaining it were crude. There also was free gold, concentrated at the surface by weathering which made it possible to work with a shovel and pan in some places. Gold was worked down to water level. A great amount of work was done as indicated by the trenches, pits, and shafts that can still be found. . . . The town of Goldville was born and died between the census of 1840 and 1850. . . When news of the California gold strike reached Goldville, the miners packed up and left not even taking time to put out their campfires.”
The Devil’s Backbone District in south-central Tallapoosa County was perhaps the richest gold-bearing area in the state, located within a narrow band beginning at Martin Dam and following the shores of Lake Martin to Jackson's Gap.
Hog Mountain, three miles west of Goldville, was a site where more gold was removed over a longer period of time than any other location in Tallapoosa County. Also known as Hillabee Mines, they were operated from1844 when oxen were used to haul the ore. While $500,000 worth was mined in the 1930s, processing cost $600,000 so operations ceased in 1936.