Little known presidential facts that you may not know
- John Tyler, who was President from 1841 to 1845, joined the Confederacy twenty years later and became the only President named a sworn enemy of the United States.
- President James Buchanan was the only bachelor to occupy the Oval Office. His niece, Harriet Lane, played the role of First Lady.
- Thomas Jefferson invented the coat hanger, the hideaway bed, the calendar clock and the dumbwaiter.
- Franklin Roosevelt married Eleanor, his second cousin. A twist? It's been alleged that Eleanor carried on a long term lesbian affair with reporter Lenora Hickock.
- President George Washington was the only president not to attend college. He also raised Hemp and owned slaves.
- President Andrew Jackson’s parrot had to be removed from his funeral because he wouldn’t stop swearing.
- While most presidents kept pet cats or dogs, President William Henry Harrison kept a pet goat in the White House.
- President Obama collects Spiderman and Conan comic books. He has also read every Harry Potter book.
- President James Harding is the first president to ever speak on a telephone.
- After George Bush Sr. vomited on the Japanese Prime Minister, the Japanese created the word “Bushusuru,” which means “to to the Bush thing” or to "vomit in public."
- President Jimmy Carter is the first president to go on record as having seen a UFO.
- President Ulysses Grant smoked up to 20 cigars a day. He died of throat cancer.
- According to Leland Gregory’s Presidential Indiscretions, President John Kennedy had a reputation as being the most sexually promiscuous president. Allegedly, he slept with: Marilyn Monroe, Jayne Mansfield, Audrey Hepburn, Angie Dickinson, Marlene Dietrich, White House staffers, secretaries, stewardesses, and strippers.
- President John Tyler had 15 children by 2 wives.
- President George Washington added the term “so help me God” at the end of the oath of office.
Addtional information can be found at the Huffington Post or Random History.
Feel free to share your comments or thoughts about this article or anything else. Send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit my website http://www.lettersbeyondheaven.com.