Skip to main content

See also:

Listeria outbreak: Tainted cheese kills one, sickens infants, seven hospitalized

Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
A Listeria outbreak from contaminated cheese has sickened at least seven and killed one.

A Listeria outbreak has killed one person and sent at least seven others to area hospitals in California and Maryland, reports The Associated Press via Yahoo! News on Friday. These numbers, and the scope of states involved, are expected to rise as more cases come forward in yet another food related health scare.

Eight cases of Listeria thus far have been reported, including one death that occurred in Calif. Three newborn babies were sickened in Maryland. The cause of the outbreak has been traced to a Hispanic style, soft cheese called Caujada en Terron, made in Delaware and sold in Maryland, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) said Friday.

The CDC released a Consumer Advice sheet, stating that “Consumers should not eat cheeses manufactured by Roos Foods,” and cautioned, “When in doubt, throw it out.”

According to the CDC, Roos Foods cheeses are sold under the following brand names: Santa Rosa de Lima, Amigo, Mexicana, Suyapa, La Chapina and La Purisima Crema Nica.

The CDC identified the outbreak strain of Listeria in the fresh cheese curd, which was sold at various grocers in Delaware.

On February 19, 2014, the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene also issued a warning to consumers to not eat any cheese products made by Roos Foods.

Listeria or Listeriosis is a serious infection generally caused by eating contaminated food containing the bacterium Listeria monocytogenes. Listeriosis onsets with fever and muscle aches, sometimes preceded by diarrhea or other gastrointestinal symptoms.

In January, a pair of Colorado farmers were sentenced to five years probation, including six months of in-home detention, for their role in a 2011 Listeriosis outbreak that killed roughly three dozen Americans who consumed infected cantaloupe, reported CNN on Feb. 4.