In honor of Mother’s Day, here’s a unique and fun way to surprise mom to celebrate the holiday – bring her to the New York City showing of "Listen To Your Mother." Part of a 32-city series of live staged readings held nationwide, this third annual New York City production features prominent local writers and performers who tell their own tales of motherhood with hilarious and touching insight.
This year's readings feature a diverse cast of influential and accomplished women, including:
- Nadine Baker (Writer)
- Amy Carr (Founder of ShareOurStories)
- Laura Clark (Teacher and Freelance Editor)
- Logan Fisher (Blogger at MuddledMother.org)
- Barbara Herel (Freelance Writer and Improv Mom blogger at Adoptive Families Circle)
- Neil Kramer (Photographer, Screenwriter, Blogger at CitizenOfTheMonth.com)
- Linda Kuriloff (Actress, Author of Linda Means To Wait)
- Ada Maris (Actress, Nickelodeon's The Brothers Garcia, Nurses, Star Trek: Enterprise)
- Doreen Oliver (Writer, Producer, Performer),
- Elizabeth Robinson (Performer, Blogger at 117-hudson)
- Lisa Samet (Writer Wake Up Goldielocks and Corporate Coach)
- Shari Simpson (NickMom Writer, Actress, Blogger at Dusty Earth Mother)
- Kerry Sparks (Author of My Name Is Pabst: Baby Names for Nonconformist Parents of Every Kind and Agent, Levine Greenberg Literary Agency)
- Elise Zealand (Lawyer/Mediator)
Cast member Barbara Herel told the New York Motherhood Examiner what inspired her to be part of this show:
“I first heard about ‘Listen To Your Mother’ from director Amy Wilson back in 2012 while attending the BlogHer conference in New York City. I thought, ‘What a simple and brilliant concept for a show.’ Kudos to LTYM creator Ann Imig, I mean, what person alive doesn’t have a painfully hilarious, or beautifully poignant, or perfectly heart-crushing story to tell that relates to motherhood?
I have a background in improv/sketch comedy and write a personal parenting blog for Adoptive Families called Improv Mom. But let me stop here and say loudly and clearly: You DO NOT have to be an actor, a blogger or a mom to be cast in LTYM. Our cast is quite an eclectic group of gals – and guy.
My Improv Mom blog chronicles my open adoption relationship with my daughter’s birth mom and family. I know open adoption sounds scary and decidedly foreign to people outside of Adoption World. Certainly before my husband and I adopted our daughter, it sounded that way to us. However, very quickly you realize how important it is for your child to know her whole family – adoptive and birth. Family is family is family, regardless of the adjective you put in front of it. So sharing an experience about openness in adoption, the baby steps you take along the way to create this on-going family relationship, is a story I was excited about sharing.”
"Listen To Your Mother" is directed by Amy Wilson Amy Wilson (Broadway's The Last Night of Ballyhoo, off-Broadway's Mother Load and The Best of Everything) and Shari Simpson, and produced by Elizabeth Robinson and Holly Rosen Fink and Associate Producer Varda Steinhardt. The production will donate 10% of ticket sales to Women's Prison Association, a non-profit organization committed to helping women with criminal justice histories see new possibilities for themselves and their families.
Listen To Your Mother
Sunday, May 4, 2014, 5 pm
Symphony Space at 2537 Broadway at 95th Street in Manhattan
Tickets, priced at $25 in advance, $30 day of show, can be purchased online at www.listentoyourmothershow.com/nyc. For more information, check out the YouTube LTYM channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LTYMShow/featured.