While viewing the movie Lincoln, one could not help but notice the similarities to today’s politics and President Barack Obama. He, himself, said that he studied Lincoln and admires his form of leadership. The following is a list of the parallels that can be drawn between these two historical, Presidential figures:
1. President’s Lincoln and Obama are known for being excellent writers and storytellers.
2. In 1861, South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas seceded from the Union because they wanted to perpetuate the institution of slavery; Southerners circulated a petition to secede from the Union after President Obama’s re-election.
3. Democrats accused President Lincoln of being a dictator; Republicans accuse President Obama of being a Muslim, a dictator, and a communist.
4. President Lincoln was considered a compromiser whereas President Obama tried to compromise and was met with opposition on every issue he put on the table.
5. Prior to the November 6, 2012 election, Republicans tried to disenfranchise a core group of people – Black, Latino, the elderly, and college students. President Lincoln met with opposition to the 13th Amendment because Whites were afraid of enfranchising free Blacks and women.
6. Whites did not want to share the wealth of America with Negroes thus the parallel can be made between the top ten-percent earners of this country who are currently not paying their fair share in taxes.
7. The opposition President Lincoln faced with the passage of the 13th Amendment, and President Obama’s fight for Universal Health care.
President Lincoln was admired by many for his strength, fortitude, and ambition. Most people love to cheer for, and support, the underdog. He is credited with signing the Emancipation Proclamation, ending the Civil War, unifying the North and South, and getting the 13th Amendment passed, although he had to secretly bride members of Congress to acquiesce. In the movie, Daniel Day-Lewis quotes Lincoln as having said something to this affect: “fitted for the time we are born.” Whether he believed in his heart that slavery was morally wrong, President Lincoln was fitted for that time to fully and completely emancipate my ancestors. And no matter what weapons have been formed against President Obama, he too, has been fitted for this time and “clothed in immense power,” which is why this misperceived notion of White supremacy has been shaken off its foundation.