With Thanksgiving last week, the holiday season is in full swing. During the time of year that’s known for rich, hearty meals and plenty of sweet treats, this recipe is a wonderful way to keep your diet in check. The lentils provide a boost of cholesterol-lowering fiber, minerals, vitamins and protein – with virtually no fat. Plus, they make the dish more filling than your typical salad. The combination of roasted squash, dried cranberries and feta create a flavor profile that’s tangy, sweet, salty and earthy … perfect for the fall and winter seasons. Roasted squash seeds add a bit of crunch, and the arugula keeps it light and fresh.
Serve this salad as a main course for a light vegetarian meal, or have it as an appetizer to a more elaborate dinner. You could even double the recipe for a healthy start to your Christmas meal.
- ¾ cup green lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 acorn squash, large, peeled and cut into 1” cubes (about 4-5 cups)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Seeds from squash (plus, salt and pepper)
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup sage, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place lentils in a small bowl and cover with cold water. Soak for 10 minutes and drain.
- Transfer lentils to a saucepan and add 2 cups of water and 2 bay leaves. Cooking over medium-high heat, bring the water to a rapid simmer. Reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Lentils should be tender but firm.
- Drain lentils. Rinse under cold water, drain, and set aside.
- While lentils are cooking, roast the squash. Place squash in a large bowl and toss with 2 Tablespoons oil, cumin, paprika and salt. Spread seasoned squash on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, tossing after 15 minutes.
- During the last 5 minutes of roasting, add squash seeds seasoned with a bit of salt and pepper to the baking sheet. Roast seeds to use as a garnish to the salad.
- In a large bowl, combine lentils, squash and oil from the baking sheet with arugula, half of the feta, sage, vinegar and 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss.
- Divide among plates and top with additional feta cheese, dried cranberries and roasted seeds.
- Makes 4 servings.
Like this recipe? Make sure you don't miss others like it. Subscribe to get instant updates, and you'll receive an e-mail every time I post a new article. Click the “subscribe” button in my bio section. You can also follow me on Facebook for more on food, recipes and restaurants in Philadelphia and Bucks County, PA. For more recipes like this, take a look at my On the Lighter Side Album on Facebook. Like me at www.facebook.com/BucksCountyFoodRestaurantExaminer and follow me on Twitter @BucksCntyFoodEx.
To see all of the recipes I’ve shared and other food-related articles, visit my Bucks County Food Page. If you’d like to read my articles focused on Bucks County restaurants, you can also subscribe to my Bucks County Restaurant page.
Want to share with a friend? Click the “Share” button at the top of this article to share on Facebook, Twitter or Google +. You can also e-mail a friend.