March 2, 2014
Ingredients: (serves two)
- 1 beefsteak tomato, pureed
- 1 beefsteak tomato, diced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 of a green bell pepper, diced1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/8 tsp each of these dried herbs: oregano, basil, thyme, dried marjoram
- 2 tb freshly chopped basil, for garnish
- Puree one beefsteak tomato and dice the other one.
- Over medium heat, sauté the garlic for a few minutes and then add the diced bell pepper.
- When the garlic and bell pepper have been cooking together for five minutes, add the pureed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and vegetable broth.
- Bring the sauce to a boil.
- Add the dried oregano, basil, thyme, and marjoram. (Save the freshly chopped basil as a garnish.)
- Once the sauce begins to boil, turn the heat down to low and simmer for 20 minutes. (Do not overcook, or else the sauce will become too thick.)
- Serve with homemade gnocchi, open a bottle of Primitivo, and enjoy!