July 29, 2014
Luxury hotels from Zurich to Deer Valley are offering innovative programs for art lovers from iPads that act as docents to extensive in house collections.
- The Dolder Grand in Zurich gives free iPad to guests for use of their new art app to guide them through its vast onsite collection. Given the size and scope of the art collection held by the Dolder Grand, the specially designed app now documents the 124 artworks by 90 artists. Users can sort the list by work or location, learn about the interesting back stories about the artists, and access a map showing the positions of the works including an Andy Warhol, Salvador Dalí and Camille Pissarro to name a few. Rates here starting at $601 a day.
- An exclusive exhibition of painted bronze sculptures by French artist Julien Marinetti is on display at the contemporary Mayfair hotel, 45 Park Lane and its neighboring hotel The Dorchester through August 30th. It is a sneak preview to Marinetti’s gallery exhibition launching in September at the new Galeries Bartoux. Each of the unique eye-popping sculptures is made using centuries-old techniques of bronze casting before being painted by Marinettiincluding original works of art including “Doggy John” (a bulldog, the first in the series and still the most popular), “Popy” (a teddy bear), “Kwak” (a rubber duck) and Bâ (a panda). The hotel is just a short stroll away from Mayfair’s buzzing art scene which houses galleries and some of the city’s top art museums that attract established names from the worlds of fashion, film, art and design. Rates here go from $677 a day.
- Park City’s Montage Deer Valley displays hundreds of original pieces by local artists such as Luke Frazier, Herb Mignery, John James Audobon, and John Banovich, the sculptures, oil paintings, and prints depicting the mountains and dramatic landscape complement the refined Mountain Craftsman resort. Truly representative of the American West, the collection evokes the culture and heritage of the West past and present, with paintings that capture the beauty of the lush vegetation and abundant wildlife in the region. For guests and art lovers alike, Montage Deer Valley has compiled a guide book titled Montage Deer Valley Art Guide, which provides a comprehensive overview of the historic and original art collection and guides guest room by room through the art. Rates begin at $305 per night.
- Wilderness Collection's Segera Retreat in the grasslands of the Laikipia Plateau overlooking Mount Kenya offers an artistic and aesthetic experience surrounded by a plethora of botanical life. The retreat, comprised of six timber and thatch villas overlooking a luxuriant botanical garden and a vast land teeming with endemic wildlife, boasts one of the largest private African contemporary art collections in the world. Founded in 2002, the collection includes paintings, sculpture, video and installations from a variety of high profile African artists, which can be seen throughout the retreat, in guests’ private villas, poolside, in gardens, and in the on-sight gallery. Rates start at $970 per person per night and include all meals, twice daily scheduled camp activities, park fees, drinks, gym access and more.
- An artist in residence program at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel™ Ireland features County Clare native and Irish artist, Michael Hanrahan who is on property during August to capture some of the changes at the world famous golf resort on canvas. The only Irish artist to be part of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s exclusive art collectikon, is also available for self-portraits and artistic advice. He charges from 3,407 for 36’x24’ portraits. Rates at Trump Ireland begin at $224 per night for the month of August.