Skip to main content
  1. News
  2. Politics
  3. Republican

Libyan intellegence chief assassinated in Benghazi...What did he know?

See also

On the very same day that the House of Representatives voted to create a Select Committee to investigate the Obama administration's possible cover-up of the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, the head of intelligence for Libya's Eastern Sector was assassinated.

Colonel Ibrahim al-Senussi Akila was shot to death in his car, in downtown Benghazi. He was hit three times, at close range in the head, neck, and chest, the Hindustan Times reported.

View the crime scene photo...

Multiple gunmen participated in the attack, which took place in front of the Central Medical Center. The assassins quickly fled the bloody scene.

No arrests have been made, and no further information on the murder was available at the time of this report.

Of course, this comes only two days after it was reported that the man tapped to lead the Select Committee, Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC), has been receiving death threats. Several news agencies received emails on Tuesday, the day after Gowdy was appointed, stating that the Congressman "would be harmed because of his role in investigating the 2012 attacks," according to POLITICO.

Gowdy has vowed to leave no stone unturned in the investigation, and bring everyone who may have any information on the attack as well as those who may have played a role in the conspiracy to cover it up, before the committee. He has said that includes not only U.S. government officials, but Libyan officials as well.

It is not known if Colonel al-Senussi was one of those Gowdy planned to question, but as the spy chief in Benghazi, it would seem that he would be a valuable resource in getting to the bottom of exactly what happened there.

One of the as yet, unanswered questions concerns the whereabouts of President Obama on the night of the attack, which took the lives of U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens, along with three American security personnel...Just last week, National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor told Fox News' Brett Baier that Obama never entered the White House Situation Room on Sept. 11, 2012, during the attack which went on for several hours.

In response to that bombshell claim, Sens. Lindsey Graham, John McCain, and Kelly Ayotte wrote a letter to President Obama, asking him:

Over a year and a half has passed since the terrorist attacks, and the American people still do not have an accounting of your activities during the attack. Mr. President, can you now confirm that Mr. Vietor’s account of your absence in the White House Situation Room is accurate?"

So far, Obama has not responded.

In February 2013, Obama's former Secretary of Defense, Leon Panetta, told the Senate Armed Services Committee that he personally told the president that the U.S. consulate in Benghazi was under siege, and then never saw, nor spoke to Obama the rest of the night. Gen. Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, has also said that he never spoke to Obama that night.

However, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told a different story during a press conference, stating:

The President spoke to the Secretary of Defense, who was in the Oval Office when the President learned about initial reports about the attack, to do everything possible to ensure that assistance -- whatever assistance could be provided was provided...And, as is the case with developments of this kind, he is routinely updated by his national security team -- Tom Donilon, Denis McDonough, John Brennan and others, as well as Secretaries Clinton and Panetta. And that was certainly the case here."

Perhaps, the only thing that is clear, is that those parties with information relevant to really what happened on the night of the Benghazi attack, as well as those who participated in the possible White House cover-up in the days following the event, would be wise to invest in bullet-proof windows.

Advertisement