It seems liberal Democrats are ready to throw the Constitution out the window and grant Obama dictatorial powers to advance his agenda, according to two stories reported in the last two days. On Wednesday, Salon said 49 House Democrats demanded Obama use executive orders to raise the minimum wage of some workers. On Thursday, CNN said Democrats also want Obama to suspend all deportation of illegal immigrants using executive orders.
It's not the first time liberal Democrats have demanded Obama bypass Congress and essentially rule like a dictator.
Last December, for example, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi suggested giving Obama dictatorial power to raise the debt ceiling to infinity, and others -- like Rep. Luis Gutierrez, D-Il.,-- have repeatedly begged for Obama to unilaterally act on illegal immigration.
Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, and others have said Obama should unilaterally act on the debt ceiling, bypassing Congress and assuming the mantle of a tyrant.
Now, liberals in Congress want Obama to assume even more power.
In the case of the minimum wage, Rep. Raul Grijalva, D-Ariz., said he is "upset" because Obama has not responded to a letter he and other progressives sent the president asking him to unilaterally act on labor issues, especially wages of private companies with federal contracts.
“It wasn’t responded to,” Grijalva said. “I mean, the response would have been, ‘We’re working on it, we’re looking into it,’ ‘We feel it’s a good idea,’ or, ‘No, we’re not going to do it.’ Any of those is a response. We received none of that.”
But since Obama didn't respond, the Arizona liberal said progressives would become “much more public and much more insistent” in pressing the president to act on their demands.
“Progressives are great soldiers on issues,” he added. “But once ignored, we can become a pretty significant pain in the butt. And you know, I think we’ve reached a point that we have to be a little bit more on the pain side.”
It's not as though Obama hasn't bypassed Congress before -- he has, on numerous occasions, oftentimes followed by threats of impeachment.
So why hasn't Obama acted on these issues? That's what Grijalva wants to know.
But he promised that progressives will become more vocal in their demands that the president usurp Congressional authority to advance their agenda, engaging faith, progressive and labor groups.
- Expert to Congress: Obama's illegal behavior could spark armed revolt
- Retired Army officer warns: DHS preparing for war against American citizens
- Retired General calls for forced resignation of Obama, administration officials
- Liberal think tank says President can use military to push progressive agenda
- Renowned author: Obama wants military leaders who will fire on U.S. citizens
- Singer James Taylor: Americans need to 'sacrifice' freedom to protect society
- Obama Executive Order would seize US infrastructure, citizens for nat'l defense
- Retired officer warns: Obama victory may spark civil war
- Texas judge warns of possible civil war, U.N. takeover if Obama wins
- Liberal Daily Kos diarist calls for 'benevolent' Obama dictatorship
- The case against re-electing Barack Hussein Obama, part 2
- More liberal Democrats call on Obama to rule like a dictator on the debt ceiling
- Sheila Jackson Lee urges Pres. Obama to rule like a dictator on debt ceiling
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez wants Obama to rule like a dictator on illegal immigration
- Former Pres. Bill Clinton: Obama should use 14th Amendment to bypass Congress
- Democrats call on Obama to bypass Congress and invoke 14th Amendment
- GOP Rep: Obama should be impeached if he tries to usurp Congress on debt
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe's blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe's articles at Right News Now, Tea Party Tribune, Newsbusters, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.