LG announced the launch of its latest flagship G series smartphone/phablet in the Korean mobile market on Thursday (Feb. 13), the LG G Pro 2. LG confirms that the successor to the award winning LG Optimus G Pro is slated to make its global debut at Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2014.
Coinciding with previous suggested specs, the G Pro 2 features a 5.9-inch Full HD screen and 3GB of RAM. The display resolution turns out to be 1920 x 1080 instead of the rumored 2560 x 1440. The Android 4.4 KitKat powered device runs on Qualcomm’s quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor, clocked at 2.26 GHz. Available storage sizes include 16GB and 32GB and there’s a microSD slot for expanded space. The G Pro 2 comes with a 3,200 mAh removable battery and supports Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi and NFC.
The G Pro 2 sports an enhanced 13-megapixel rear camera and 2.1-megapixel front camera. Optical Image Stabilizer Plus (OIS+) technology is built into the 13-megapixel camera, a first for LG smartphones. For capturing better images, sensor sensitivity and lens size were increased in both the front and rear camera. Other enhanced camera specs include: 120FPS HD Video Recording, 4K ULTRA HD recording, Natural Flash, Flash for Selfie, Burst Shot and Gallery Collage.
From LG’s popular “KnockON” native app a spin-off feature called “Knock Code” is born. This new security feature lets users power on and unlock the G Pro 2 by tapping on the screen using a knock pattern.
“Knock Code is an example of LG bringing simpler, more convenient solutions to consumers’ mobile lives,” president and CEO of LG Electronics Mobile Communications, Dr. Jong-seok Park said in a news release.
LG has not yet determined availability of the G Pro 2 outside of Korea, retail pricing also remains unknown at this time. Additional details will likely be revealed at MWC 2014.
- Chipset: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 800 (2.26 GHz Quad-Core)
- GPU: Qualcomm Technologies’ Adreno™ 330
- Display: 5.9-inch Full HD IPS (1920 x 1080), Slim Bezel
- Memory: 3GB DDR3 RAM / 16GB/32GB eMMC ROM / microSD slot
- Camera: Rear 13.0MP OIS+ / Front 2.1MP
- Battery: 3,200mAh (removable)
- Operating System: Android 4.4 KitKat
- Size: 157.9 x 81.9 x 8.3mm
- Weight: 172g
- Network: LTE / HSPA+
- Connectivity: Bluetooth Smart Ready (BT 4.0) / USB / WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) / NFC / SlimPort
- Colors: Titan, White, Silver
- Other: Knock Code™, 1W Hi-Fi Sound, Content Lock