Don’t let egg allergies spoil a perfectly good celebration cake! There are many ways to substitute eggs in a cake mix cake that won’t be noticeable to avid cake lovers. These egg substitutions are also a welcomed option for people with high cholesterol or that eat a strict vegan. Ready to let your cake go eggless?
The following recommendations for egg substations are based on using a boxed cake mix. Toward the bottom of the list, we also have substitutions for oil and eggs in a cake mix cake.
For egg substitution, one egg =
- 1 mashed banana
- 3 Tbsp. (or 1/4 c) applesauce
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax seeds and 3 Tbsp. water (or other liquid)
- 1 tsp baking powder, 1.5 Tbsp. water and 1.5 Tbsp. oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. arrowroot flour
- 1 Tbsp Chia seeds and 3 Tbsp of water
- 1/4 c milk
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch and 2 Tbsp water
- 1 heaping Tbsp. soya powder
- 2 heaping Tbsp. potato starch (mashed potato)
- 1/4 c silken tofu (whip smooth and creamy in a food processor)
- 2 Tbsp cornflower
- 1 Tbsp soy powder and 2 Tbsp water
- ¼ c soy yogurt
- ¼ vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp. of purees fruit
- 1 Tbsp. gelatin and 3 Tbsp. lukewarm water (mix and then add to cake mix)
- 1/4 c buttermilk
- 1 c butter (not the healthiest of alternatives)
For eggs AND oil substitution:
- 1 12 oz can of soda pop
- 1 can of pumpkin and 1/3 c water
- 2 tsp vinegar, 2 tsp vanilla and 1 c cold water
- 1 15 oz can of pie filling or fruit
With twenty five intriguing options, hopefully you might have found a new way to make your celebration cakes for people with egg allergies or high cholesterol. Egg substitutions are not as scary as you may think; the flavors are rarely altered and the above options keep your cake mix nice and moist.
Thanks for reading Raleigh Food! Click here to subscribe to this column and you’ll get an email each time a new article is published.
Do you ever wish you had the chance to write articles about things that interest you? Look into Examiner! It’s a great way to make some extra money and it’s a lot of fun. Follow this link and see if it’s right for you!