Gambol with goats, float like butterflies or be a shrinking violet this weekend and do nothing.
With the weather so fine, how can you not be jumping for joy that it’s finally spring?
The pursuit of weekend fun will take you the length and breadth of Greater Jacksonville, but mostly won’t cost you more than gas money.
May the spirit of spring fill you with a charitable spirit.
- 5th Annual Spud Run & Cabbage Crawl Spud Run – Sat., Mar., 29, 7 a.m. HHS Community Building, 6195 S. Main St., Hastings, Fla. Admission: $25 5K, $35 10K. Raise awareness about our area’s contributions to agriculture throughout the state of Florida and get some exercise, too. Beautiful countryside plus live entertainment for the whole family. Proceeds to benefit the South Woods Elementary School PTO. South Woods Elementary School is a Title 1 school, in which over 80% of our student body is economically disadvantaged. For more information, and to register online, please visit www.racesmith.com/races/spudrun.
- 9th Annual West Nassau Historical Society Railroad Days – Fri., Mar., 28, 1-8 p.m., Sat., Mar. 29, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Historic Train Depot, 45383 Dixie Ave., Callahan, Fla. Admission: FREE & open to the public. The 1881 Callahan Train Depot and 1856 railroad bed is your destination for fun. Opening ceremony, raising of the flag and “Hobo Day” on Friday. Shriner-led Railroad Days Parade on Saturday. Two days of fun, food and live entertainment. For more information, please call 904-879-3406 or visit www.wnhsfl.org.
- Butterfly Festivus – Sat., Mar. 29 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Greathouse Butterfly Farm, 20329 NE State Rd. 26, Earleton, Fla. Admission: $5 per person, kids 4 & under FREE. Walk through butterfly houses, explore the gardens, hand-feed the butterflies, and browse through our one of a kind butterfly gift shop. Tons of fun for the whole family – live music, delicious food, art and crafts, children's activities, butterfly releases and much more. For more information, please call 352- 475-2088.
- Choral Evensong for Lent – Sun., Mar. 30, 5 p.m. St. Mark's Episcopal Church, 4129 Oxford Ave., Jacksonville, Fla. Admission: FREE & open to the public. Evening service featuring classical choral and organ music as well as hymns. Liven up the fourth Sunday in Lent with festive song.
- Dog Day at Ravine Gardens – Sat., Mar. 29, 9 a.m. Ravine Gardens State Park, 1600 Twigg St., Palatka, Fla. Admission: $5 per carload of 8. Free trail walk with a ranger with park entry. For more information, please call 386-329-3721.
- Finders Keepers Children’s Consignment Sale – Thurs., Mar., 27 9 a.m.-8 p.m., Fri., Mar. 28, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. & Sat., Mar. 29, (half-price day) 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Morocco Shrine Center, 3800 St. Johns Bluff Rd., Jacksonville, Fla. Admission: FREE & open to the public, FREE parking, $12 fee to consign, payable when you register. Credit cards & cash accepted. For more information or to register as a consignor, please call 321-355-2905 or visit finderskeepersjax.com.
- Joke Fest – Sat., Mar. 29, 11 a.m. Southeast Regional Library, 10599 Deerwood Park Blvd., Jacksonville, Fla. Admission: FREE & open to the public. A morning of laughs at our celebration of children’s humor. Parents and children are invited to choose a joke to share from our joke box. Our celebrity hosts are the Greenfield Elementary School “Joke Masters” who have been chosen by the school to show off reading and public speaking skills they learned from studying jokes and humor. For more information, please visit jaxpubliclibrary.org.
- Living History Day – Sat., Mar. 29, 10 a.m. Ximenez-Fatio House Museum, 20 Aviles St., St. Augustine, Fla. Admission: Adults $7, Students $5. Presented by the Girls Scouts of Gateway Council. Features Girl Scouts from the Black Creek and Manatee Service units in Clay County portraying the lives of six women who operated, worked or visited the museum during the early years of Florida’s statehood and tourism industry. For more information, please call 904-829-3575 or visit ximenezfatiohouse.org.
- O'Leno Ole' Chili Cook-Off & Springs Celebration – Sat., Mar. 29, 9 a.m. O'Leno State Park, SE Oleno Park Rd., High Springs, Fla. Admission: FREE & open to the public, $20 per team to compete. Please bring donations of non-perishable food items for our local food bank. Bring your favorite chili recipe and compete with the best during this CASI (Chili Appreciation Society International) sanctioned chili cook off. Prizes for 1st - 10th place in the cook off, and 1st - 3rd place for showmanship competition. Or compete in the open category where anything goes. Prizes for 1st - 5th place winners in the open category. Contestants must be 18 years or older. For more information, please call 386-454-0723 or 386-454-1853.
- Reddick BBQ Festival – Sat., Mar. 29, 7 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Friendship Baptist Church, 15115 NW Gainesville Rd., Reddick, Fla. Admission: FREE & open to the public. If you love BBQ, good deals, and live music, come "downtown" for the 3rd annual Reddick BBQ Festival. Bring your appetite, as there will be a big BBQ battle between local churches, a huge community yard sale, arts & crafts vendors, clowns and fun for kids and Christian music all day. For more information, please call 352-258-4604.
- River City Violets – Fri., Mar. 28, Noon-6 p.m. & Sat., Mar. 29, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. San Jose Church of Christ, 6233 San Jose Blvd., Jacksonville, Fla. Admission: FREE & open to the public. The Heart of Jacksonville African Violet Society’s salute to violets, America’s number one houseplant. Entries judged by standards of the African Voilet Society of America. For more information, please call 904-536-4182, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit jacksonvilleviolets.org.
- Sheriff's Round Up – Sat., Mar. 29, 5:30-10 p.m. Hyatt Regency Jacksonville, 225 E. Coastline Dr., Jacksonville, Fla. Admission: $125 per person, $75 for young professionals (40 & under), $1250 Table of 10. Wear your best Western attire for this charity fundraiser benefiting the children participating in the Police Athletic League's programs. Cocktails and Silent Auction at 6 p.m with dinner and dancing at 7 p.m. For more information, please visit jaxpal.com.
- Slide into Spring Music & Craft Beer Festival – Sat., Mar. 29 Noon – 9 p.m. Main Beach Park, 25 Tarpon Ave., Fernandina Beach, Fla. Admission: $20 Advance, $25 Gate, $50 VIP. Presented by the City of Fernandina Beach. An amazing combination of both delicious craft brew with world class music. Over a dozen breweries offering samples of their finest flavors. Plus one of the best music line-ups to hit northeast Florida: Herd of Watts, Vagabond Swing, The Fritz, Yo Mama's Big Fat Booty Band and headliner Keller Williams. Art walk, interactive kids zone, food trucks, craft bazaar and much more. All proceeds benefit 8 Flags Playscapes, Inc., a local 501(c)(3) raising funds to build one of the area's first fully accessible playgrounds. For more information, please call 904-310-3361 or visit www.slideintospring.com.
- Small Ruminant Forage Field Day – Fri., Mar. 28, 9 a.m. Calovine Farm, 15205 County Rd. 316, Williston, Fla. Admission: $12 per person/$20 a couple, includes dinner and refreshments. UF/IFAS Extension Marion County invite you to Calovine Farm to learn more about grazing strategies for small ruminants and the benefits of winter forages and how they can help you provide good quality feed, reduce weeds, and promote the viability of your small farm operation. For more information, please call 352-671-8400.
©2014 All rights reserved.
OFFICIAL BIO: K Truitt is a second-generation, native Floridian born in Jacksonville. Truitt worked in public higher education for 25 years and knows newspaper publishing, printing and graphic design. Contact: email@example.com