As opposed to other types of pound cake, this version has a lighter texture and delivers to the tongue a more creamy experience -- all of this thanks to the inclusion of ricotta cheese. For those new to this incredible Italian cheese, it is a form of cream cheese. It is unsweetened and has a texture one might expect if they were to puree cottage cheese.
Due to the texture of Ricotta Cheese Pound Cake, it is a perfect dessert base for fresh fruits, creme fraiche or lightly whipped cream.
Ingredients needed to make Ricotta Cheese Pound Cake (makes 1 loaf-style cake):
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Set the bowl aside.
- Into a mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Into the mixer add the eggs, ricotta cheese and almond extract and beat until smooth.
- Slowly add the flour mixture and beat until well incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and even out.
- Place in the oven and bake 60 minutes, or until the sides break away from the pan.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and cool on a rack.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."