Lentil rice bake
Lentil Rice Bake
This classic vegetarian recipe is sure to become a family favorite. It is nutritious and tasty. And best of all, for busy cooks, it takes just minutes to prepare.
This bake makes a perfect weekday meal with some crusty bread and a tossed salad. This recipe yields about 4 cups, or 4 to 6 main dish servings.
Tip: Although this recipe takes almost no prep time, it takes a looooong time to cook (almost two hours!) Make sure to get started on time, or you'll have to think of something else for dinner.
- 1/2 cup of your favorite rice. You can also use risotto with good results.
- 1/2 cup lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 2 cans vegetable stock
- 1 bag frozen green beans - If you're out of frozen, substitute 2 cans from your pantry
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Pour rice, lentils, and stock in a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Cover and bake for an hour.
- Add green beans, and then bake for another half hour.
- Optionally sprinkle with cheese and let covered casserole sit for a few minutes while the cheese melts.