Today’s recipe feature is Lemon Chicken Soup with Spaghetti. It’s a delicious soup made easy with pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, diced carrots and store-bought broth. Wonderfully seasoned with lemon juice, bay leaf, fresh parsley and a bit of Romano cheese, this soup is ready in about 30 minutes. Healthy and joyous eating!
Lemon Chicken Soup with Spaghetti (Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis)
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth, gluten-free variety, if needed
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 (2-inch) piece Parmesan cheese rind, optional
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) spaghetti, broken into 2-inch pieces, (You can use any short pasta from your pantry as a substitute for spaghetti), gluten-free variety, if needed
- 2 cups diced cooked rotisserie chicken, preferably breast meat
- 1 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Kosher salt
In a large stockpot, bring the chicken broth, lemon juice, bay leaf, and Parmesan rind, if using, to a boil over medium-high heat.
Add the carrots and simmer until tender, about 5 to 8 minutes.
Add the broken pasta and cook until the pasta is tender, for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken and heat through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and the Parmesan rind and discard. Stir in half of the cheese and the parsley. Season with salt, to taste. Ladle the soup into serving bowls and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Serving yield – four servings.