‘The LEGO Movie’ scored one of the highest February debuts ever and dominated the domestic weekend box office, according to industry figures released Monday.
The animated 3D action comedy grossed $69 million in ticket sales from Friday to Sunday. That’s the second-highest debut ever in February behind only ‘The Passion of the Christ,’ which opened with $83.8 million in 2004, according to movie tracking site Box Office Mojo.
World War II biographical action drama ‘The Monuments Men’ starring George Clooney, Matt Damon, Bill Murray, John Goodman and Cate Blanchett opened at No. 2 with $22 million.
After three weekends at No. 1, action comedy ‘Ride Along’ starring Ice Cube and Kevin Hart dropped two spots to No. 3 in its fourth weekend, earning $9.5 million for a total of $105.3 million since opening Jan. 17.
Disney’s animated 3D comedy adventure ‘Frozen’ slipped two spots to No. 4 in its 12th weekend, earning $6.8 million for a total of $368.6 million since opening in limited release Nov. 22.
Biographical military action drama ‘Lone Survivor’ starring Mark Wahlberg stayed at No. 5 in its seventh weekend, earning $5.5 million for a total of $112.8 million since opening in limited release Christmas day.
The weekend’s only other new nationwide release, supernatural action comedy 'Vampire Academy,’ opened at No. 7 with $3.9 million.
WEDNESDAY’S NATIONWIDE RELEASE
- A police officer is critically injured in the line of duty and transformed into a cyborg cop to patrol a futuristic and crime-ridden Detroit in sc-fi action remake ‘Robocop.’ Rated PG-13. Watch the official trailer here.
FRIDAY’S (VALENTINE’S DAY) NATIONWIDE RELEASES
- The relationships of two new couples are explored in R-rated romantic comedy remake ‘About Last Night’ starring Kevin Hart. Watch the official trailer here.
- A privileged girl and a charismatic boy engage in a reckless love affair in the face of their parents’ disapproval in romantic drama remake ‘Endless Love.’ Rated PG-13. Watch the official trailer here.
- A burglar falls in love with a dying heiress and plans to save her when he learns he has the gift of reincarnation in romantic fantasy drama ‘Winter’s Tale’ starring Colin Farrell and Russell Crowe. Rated PG-13. Watch the official trailer here.
TUESDAY’S DVD/BLU-RAY RELEASES
- A sailor is lost at sea after a collision in adventure drama ‘All is Lost’ starring Robert Redford. Rated PG-13.
- A woman obsessed with ‘Pride and Prejudice’ visits a Jane Austen theme park to find her perfect gentleman in romantic comedy ‘Austenland’ starring Keri Russell. Rated PG-13.
- College friends reunite after 15 years, reigniting old rivalries and romances, in R-rated dramedy ‘The Best Man Holiday.’
- A lawyer is in over his head when gets involved in drug trafficking in R-rated crime thriller ‘The Counselor’ starring Michael Fassbender, Penelope Cruz, Cameron Diaz, Javier Bardem and Brad Pitt. Directed by Ridley Scott and written by Cormac McCarthy.
- Princess Diana embarks on a secret love affair with a Pakistani heart surgeon during her final two years in dramatic biographical romance ‘Diana’ starring Naomi Watts. Rated PG-13.
- A young boy is recruited to lead the fight against an alien invasion in sci-fi action adventure ‘Ender’s Game’ starring Harrison Ford. Rated PG-13. Based on the classic novel by Orson Scott Card.
- A Christian teen’s faith is tested when she breaks into the real world of music in PG-rated musical drama ‘Grace Unplugged.’