The book Leaving by Karen Kingsbury is the first in a series titled The Bailey Flannigan Series. This book has really changed the way I perceive things in my life. There are a number of quotes that have spoken to me while reading this novel. The page numbers for these quotes have been taken from the Kindle edition of the book.
- "Life changes. People come and go, and seasons never last.” Pastor Mark Atteberry’s voice rang with passionate emotion. “Nothing stays the same. We can count on that. Good times come and go … finances are ever changing … our health will eventually fail us. And through death or decision, everyone we know will someday leave us.” He paused, his eyes searching the congregation. “All except for Jesus Christ. Jesus will never leave you nor forsake you. And because of that we have the strength to love with all our hearts … even unaware of what tomorrow brings.” He smiled. “That’s what I want you to take away from today’s service. Jesus stays.” (Kingsbury, pg.25 )
- "Daughter, do not worry about tomorrow … tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (Kingsbury, pg.71 )
- "A dreamy look came over her face. “I sometimes picture the guy you’ll marry. I mean, his face isn’t clear, but I can picture him. And one thing I know …” She looked straight at Bailey, her eyes shining. “When you sing, he won’t be able to leave the room. He’ll barely remember to breathe. Because your song will resonate in the depths of his soul.” (Kingsbury, pg.76)
- "There wouldn’t be autograph lines in heaven. Might as well not get used to all the attention here on earth." (Kingsbury,pg.150)
- "Life was like that. A lot of work and training and preparing, all so that when the time was right a person might catch the perfect wave." (Kingsbury, pg.163)
- "Next time that boy pursues you, he better do it like a dying man looking for water in a desert." (Kingsbury,pg.215)